Porter bee escapes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How well does it work if you need to clear 3 or 4 supers on one hive? Do you need to take 10 minutes on each super? Or are all 3/4 cleared in the 10 minutes?

I have been using a fume board for about 4-5 years and can clear a super in a couple of minutes, by the time I have lifted off and put on my truck the next is ready to be removed.
The hotter weather the better as the 'fumes' need to go down through the hive. I have in the past added some heat to the aluminium cover on my fume board when clearing on colder days. Its fairly obvious how but am not going to describe how I do this as someone is bound to overdo it and catch the lot on fire, then blame me!
S
PS you need to put the fume board on each super and clear one at a time

PS you need to put the fume board on each super and clear one at a time

Cheers, that makes sense. Usually clearign 2-4 supers per hive. I shall be giving it a try, thanks for the tip.

I shook the bees out of 12 supers last wednesday (one per each of 12 colonies). Took all of 30 minutes.

When I shake bees frames, I put onto ground the super. In 15 minutes bees realize that they are separated from their nest. They start to panic and suck themselves full of honey. They start to fly to their nest.

You realize, that if it takes 15 minutes to become nervous, it is not possible that escaper makes the super empty in 10 minutes.

When bees are full of honey in shaking they drop drop easily from frames.

When robbers are flying, shaking method succeeds with one hive but then next is more painfull. You may leave the place. Escaper is then good. When you ipen the cover, cloud of robbers may wait allready around the hive.

It depends on many things, how easily you get honey off from hives. There is no rules.

Last edited:
I shook the bees out of 12 supers last wednesday (one per each of 12 colonies). Took all of 30 minutes.

12 frames in 3 minutes, 15 seconds per frame. Box from hive, shake and carry into car. And look that all are capped. Return uncapped to the hive.

Last edited:
Fume board using 80% Isopropyl Alcohol, 10% Benzaldehyde and 10% Tea Tree Oil clears a super in 5 - 10 mins...

Have you tried pure benzaldehyde on its own? or does the Isopropyl alcohol make it more effective?
I want to try this method when clearing supers on the heather next week.
Advice on formulation appreciated.

Last edited:
Have you tried pure benzaldehyde on its own? or does the Isopropyl alcohol make it more effective?

Benzaldehyde burns skin and will make nice holes in poly hive parts, trust me I know !!
S

Advice on formulation appreciated.

No I’ve never tried Benzaldehyde on it’s own - presumably for the reasons outlined by Stiffy above; I use Poly hives as well. As to formulation, mix in the ratios described, load into sprayer, shake well, use liberally.

Rhombus board worked a treat. Not a single bee left upstairs.:thanks:

Now if there was a way to keep the wasps away......

No I’ve never tried Benzaldehyde on it’s own - presumably for the reasons outlined by Stiffy above; I use Poly hives as well. As to formulation, mix in the ratios described, load into sprayer, shake well, use liberally.

Cheers Codford, thanks for that.
I don't have any teatree oil so it's benzaldehyde mixed with isopropyl.
Fume board is just finished, will be trying out next Monday.

Postscript, good old Amazon prime...200ml Tea Tree oil now arriving tomorrow.

Last edited:
fume board

Fume board using 80% Isopropyl Alcohol, 10% Benzaldehyde and 10% Tea Tree Oil clears a super in 5 - 10 mins...

thanks for this ... I tried some neat benzaldehyde on a kitchen towel ... but had a bit of a heath robinson fume board .. and wasnt that effective ...i guess

so thanks for the recipe .. will try that ...but will need to get or make a proper fume board .. what do you use for the roof of the fume board .. any suggested foam or absorbent materials ?

Latest posts

Back