Porter bee escapes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am having problems clearing supers with Porter escapes. Is this just that the spring gaps need adjusting, or should I try another method?

After five years I've given up on porter's a bought myself some rapid clears. They are still not perfect, but do a much better job than the ports.

Ed.

Fume board using 80% Isopropyl Alcohol, 10% Benzaldehyde and 10% Tea Tree Oil clears a super in 5 - 10 mins...

I would go for a rhombus or a figure of 8 escape. Both work well and no moving parts....except the bees.

IMG_0041.jpg

8way10f_2000x.jpg

Fume board using 80% Isopropyl Alcohol, 10% Benzaldehyde and 10% Tea Tree Oil clears a super in 5 - 10 mins...

How well does it work if you need to clear 3 or 4 supers on one hive? Do you need to take 10 minutes on each super? Or are all 3/4 cleared in the 10 minutes?

Is this just that the spring gaps need adjusting,

Yes - hit them hard three or four times with a lump hammer - if they still don't work, buy or something decent like a rhombus escape

Attachments

• rhombus1.jpg
    rhombus1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • rhombus2.jpg
    rhombus2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I am no expert on the matter.. the first time i set my eyes on those silly thing's it set a ball rolling in my head.. needless to say i do not own a single one.. pure dog cack imo..
They look the part when you buy a new flat pack hive and everything fits together like that but they are cack.

I am no expert on the matter.. the first time i set my eyes on those silly thing's it set a ball rolling in my head.. needless to say i do not own a single one.. pure dog cack imo..
They look the part when you buy a new flat pack hive and everything fits together like that but they are cack.

I think I am coming to the same conclusion..........so why do Thrones insist on including with a flat pack pack? Just because they are cheap?

Yes - hit them hard three or four times with a lump hammer - if they still don't work, buy or something decent like a rhombus escape

Hello Jenks,

Wouldn’t that likely damage them?:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Perhaps thrones stiill supply them because the alternatives would cost money - bee space, if used as a ceiling, would encourage wax covering and brace comb.

RAB

Last edited:
.porter was good, when there was no better apparatus.

When robbers attack during operation, dead bees stuck the porter holes and then it does not work at all.

Yellow disk, so called Italian cleaner works well.

However, porter escape is not a worth of jokes. Keep some quality level in jokes.

Last edited:
How well does it work if you need to clear 3 or 4 supers on one hive? Do you need to take 10 minutes on each super? Or are all 3/4 cleared in the 10 minutes?

Stupid questions.... This threath does not give much practical info to guys.

What is so hurry that you must clean 4 supers in 10 minutes? And you have worked for it the whole year.

Last edited:
thanks BF

was trying to figure out how the rhombus attaches to the crown board...it goes underneath it!

Most make up a seperate "clearer board" with deep sides so that the bees have room to move down beneath.

If you put an extraxted comb in the box which will be cleaned, frame's honey gives speed bees' moving.

Well, I used a yellow, eight-way escape overnight and it did not go well. Super is still full of bees and eight-way escape is blocked and full of dead bees. I have no idea what can have can wrong, did I leave it in too long so they started to find their way back in? Can bees walk backward? The dead bees were in the central circle not in the escape channels themselves. Perhaps I needed a bigger hole in the wood it is presently 32mm.

This years method has worked a treat. Used porters and taped them to board leaving only the central hole and springs open for access. I had found they were not fitting tightly and bees were getting underneath the plastic rims and were able to go up and down. Selected honey super to clear. Placed empty super with frames underneath with porter escape board above. Honey super on top with crown board then roof. Cleared apart from one or two bees after 48 hours.

Latest posts

Back