Porter bee escapes - how long?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Young John" I love it !

Now thats what I call a real Mentor JC.
You need to spend an afternoon with him getting his reflections of beekeeping over the last 50 years on tape.

Then get it written up.

Ah well, you're only as young as --- ----- you feel, 'eh Admin ? ;)

But you're right about Stan, I think I'll try and get some recordings done ...... we've got our annual honey show this week-end, maybe I can work something in with that. :)

Rapid clearer boards

There are two good reasons for not having Porter Bee escapes.

One they are prone to not working.

Two they encourage holes in otherwise perfectly good crown boards.

Far better are rapid clearer boards. Easy to make with no moving parts.

PH

Hi PH - can you explain what a rapid clearer board is please? I cant find any reference anywhere.
Thanks

Ah well, you're only as young as --- ----- you feel, 'eh Admin ? ;)

leisures-and-sports-076.gif

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fris

Ooh Hello Fris, you're looking particularly fit and youthful in your new avatar pic, ....

I feel quite, er, invigorated ...... J, x ........ :leaving:

missed you :blush5: xx

what say you Oliver90 ?

Sorry JC, not around so much in the daytime - to beat you to it! Started new job on Tuesday. Finished at 15:35 today but didn't get away until 17:40.

Yes, needs to be hard and springy, not work harden too quickly, so probably a Phospor-bronze.

Regards, RAB

Probably Midgy because it is a phrase I made up.
I intended to post pics a month ago but have been not so well and good intentions are the devils path....

PH

We have a two porter bee escapes in our crown board. What worried me was then you put the roof on. Probably a daft question, but how do they get out then? With all the excitement of the day, I didn't get chance to examine the equipment.

Your crownboard will double up as a clearer board (to clear bees from a super containing finished honey.

It is not needed as a clearer on the top of a super but if there, the direction of travel for the bees must be downwards That way any bees trapped in the roofspace can escape. The other way round is not bee friendly!

I normally simply cover those holes so there is no top ventilation (and no top draughts either). Not needed with OMFs, IMO.

Regards, RAB

I don't understand Rab,sorry. When people watched the video, someone commented that the crown board was put on the wrong way first, then cut to the next shot and it had been turned round. The first time the bee escapes meant the bees would be able to go downwards, then we had forgotten to empty the box of loose bees in, so had to take the board off. The next time the bee escapes were letting the bees out upwards.....I know, because I saw one pop out. Then the roof went on with bees still inside. Please don't tell me they are trapped up there! There is nothing I can do about it. We aren't going back until Thursday and I don't have the experience ( or guts ) to do it myself! They are probably dead now anyway. This is so upsetting. Would you mind having a look on my vid for me, just so I know.

Haven't found your vid. I was expecting to see it in the first box (above the baking video?) but the box is empty.

Regards, RAB

Haven't found your vid. I was expecting to see it in the first box (above the baking video?) but the box is empty.

Regards, RAB

Oh sorry, he's changed the site and got the link for the video mixed up with making frames lol. Oh no! I'll email him and get him to sort it out. I'm really worried now. Thanks though Rab for taking the time.

Kazmcc, Be brave, put all your kit on and go quietly up to the rear of the hive, no smoke, very gently lift the rear of the roof and have a look. If you can see the whole of the top of the porter escape 11cm long 4cm wide with a 20mm diam hole in the middle all is well, if all you can see is an oblong of white plastic 6.5cm by 3cm then it is wrong.

Most bought crown boards have 2 slots for porter escapes AND a small hole at the side if this hole is open then no problem, if it is covered try and uncover it. Failing that try and push the porter escape into the hive a a temporary measure.

Don't worry too much, at the very worst you may lose a few bees but not many and the colony will survive.

Paul my have a different system but I do not leave the porter escapes in the crown board, I cover the holes with a tile, that way the escapes do not get glued up with propolis. Good luck Mike

The escapes were correct when the roof was put on.

You can see these, and how they work (Click on the more info tag), on the th*rne website. Must be described on others too eg Dave Cushman.

Regards, RAB

Thank you so much MJ, but I am under strict instructions not to open the hive without Paul. I would do it no problem using your instructions but he said wait until Thursday.

I am very attached to the bees, and I don't want to lose any. I know Paul knows his bees and should just trust him. I'm a bee virgin still so I'm probably worrying over nothing. I don't know any of the equipment yet, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I remember putting it on and him telling me to turn it round so he was watching what I was up to. we'll just have to wait and see I suppose. If they were my bees I would go and do what you suggested, but I still feel as if they belong to someone else and need to ask permission. i'm going to have to get over that. Might do after a bit more experience maybe.

Thanks again :)

:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back