portal escape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rink123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all can any one tell me how long it takes for the bees to go out of the super after fitting two new portal escapes, I left it one day and its still full of bees

In my recent experience after 12 hours it is as good as it gets. I had to brush the stragglers off. I've just got some rhombus to try next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porter escapes are notoriously unreliable - especially the newer ones with plastic springs. If the spacing isn't bang on with the springs bees won't get out through them. Some people leave then on the hive all through the year which means by the time it comes to use them properly they are all clarted up with propolis. Drones can easily jam up the whole thing as well. Chuck them in the rubbish and invest in a rhombus escape for next season.
Bees also won't go down into the brood box if there isn't enough room for them.

Arsey bees strongly objecting to a shake and a brush is what could be wrong

Frig that get them shook and brushed then into a spare box behind you, if we are suited up correct we could even shake the brood box out and stick the queen behind our veil :rolleyes:

Yes ... But not everyone is as brave as you - we know you bite rats heads off and would kill lions with your bare hands ...

I'll await the video of that ;)

Hi all can any one tell me how long it takes for the bees to go out of the super after fitting two new portal escapes, I left it one day and its still full of bees

They can be very slow to clear if the porter escape springs are not set just right.
Good idea to invest in a blower, used during good weather a blower is much faster and a very gentle method of clearing bees.

I find that with practice shaking the combs can be so effective that you don't need to use a brush (which gets sticky with honey) and shaking also tells you if unsealed honey in the comb is not ready for taking. I can shake more or less all bees off a box of combs in about a minute. Helps if someone else can uncover and then cover the recipient super with a cloth or crown board in synchrony with your action to reduce the number of bees trying to get back to the combs and rob it back.

I must be the only one still using Porter bee escapes.
They work fine for me 90%+ of the time.
I find that I can leave them on till the next inspection 1 week later and 90%+ of the time the super is cleared. Bees don't seem to want to go back up.
The springs need a regular clean to remove propolis but otherwise no problems.

You're not alone. I've used them for 9 years and they've always cleared the supers in 24 hours. Every time I do it I worry they won't work and every time they do. I don't think I've ever had more then four or five bees left in a super so they're very easy to shake off. I'm very fussy over the gap being just right which helps a lot.

Never used a porter escape so can't really comment. All I would say is that the rhombus works for me every time. I run frameless hives so vigorous shaking of newish combs that are full of nectar is not really practical. The rhombus seems to work on just about any type of hive (OK, not my Kenyan) and is pretty much fool proof. Would not consider any other way of clearing bees now. If there are any hanging on the underside of the clearer, just prop it against the hive and in they go.

You're not alone. I've used them for 9 years and they've always cleared the supers in 24 hours. Every time I do it I worry they won't work and every time they do. I don't think I've ever had more then four or five bees left in a super so they're very easy to shake off. I'm very fussy over the gap being just right which helps a lot.

I have used them 50 years. They do work in summer well.
In autumn robbers join to honey harvesting party and often dead bees stuck the them. But I prefer Italian big round clearer. Self made clearer works better too than porter.

I can't think of anything more time consuming than brushing bees off frames. I put rhombus escapes on 17:00 last night and by 12:00 today the was not a bee in sight. Use Corex board covers whilst transporting to stop bees and wasps entering.

It's much easier to sort out any unripe frames whilst the bees are gone

Shaking is very good. When you take a supers:spy: off, let the bees first get nervous. It takes abut 15 mn. They suck themself full of honey. Then they drop very easily from frames.

Then you do not need to come back to shake them.

Nothing bad in brushing. Taking honey from the hive is a happy moment. You surely have afford to spend quality time with it , because after all the year you get your average yield 15 kg honey.

Last edited:
Back