polystyrene hives not recommended for overwintering

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The point is that the basis for comparison is that all colonies in a study should be kept under identical conditions. To me, this seems so obvious that it doesn't need to be stated.
Your work is interesting and SUGGESTS that increased insulation aids winter survival but your sample size (If I remember correctly it was 3 colonies?) isn't enough to state categorically that we should all rush out and put lots of extra insulation on our colonies. I, for one, remain to be convinced. I think it could end up being a double edged sword (like most things in beekeeping) where pests and diseases could also flourish.

Is that correct? Is this the published work? And others experimental design is criticised. Blimey.

and

Solid floors are better than open mesh!! I really don't know where to turn.:hairpull::cool::confused::confused:

Omitted to all Welsh and Omar Valley beekeepers
Put this on wall.

Iwan Petrowitsch Pawlow

iwan_petrowitsch_pawlow.jpg

We'd have been further ahead if he'd kept bees instead of dogs - we might have learned more about the conditioned reflex of bees when confronted with a cold enclosure, which is what this thread started out discussing.

I think the B+ memory is playing tricks on him [(If I remember correctly it was 3 colonies?)]. I seem to recall that no bees were used in Derekm's experiments. There was a heat source to simulate a bee cluster/colony that was moved around the various enclosures and heat transfer results were recorded from this arrangement. No bees were harmed etc..... The experiments were done on 16 different enclosures.

CVB

Is
Solid floors are better than open mesh!! I really don't know where to turn.:hairpull::cool::confused::confused:

Yes. They are. That is why I use solid floors.

.In Turkish research they lost colonies on solid floors, but how they did it. It needs special skills.

In Canada they had 20 hives where they started to research, how much mesh floor reduces mites in colonies. They must stop the research to save colonies. Hives got so bad chalkbrood and they must stop reseach.

Strange thing is that Great Britain seeks help from Turkey how to over winter bees.

If I get into my mind to get knowledge about insulation From Great Britain, it goes at once away from mind.

Once I met a Danish Insulation expert in Malaysia Langawi. He lived in Singapore. He worked in Ice Cream Industry.

Jenkins, you love science history. You mainly read 100 years old beekeeping books. Why you do not accept that others read old science.

well I suppose when you obtained your dozen degrees it was all new revolutionary stuff

The point is that the basis for comparison is that all colonies in a study should be kept under identical conditions. To me, this seems so obvious that it doesn't need to be stated.
Your work is interesting and SUGGESTS that increased insulation aids winter survival but your sample size (If I remember correctly it was 3 colonies?) isn't enough to state categorically that we should all rush out and put lots of extra insulation on our colonies. I, for one, remain to be convinced. I think it could end up being a double edged sword (like most things in beekeeping) where pests and diseases could also flourish.
You have missed the point I don't have a sample size . I apply my research of honey bee enclosures to the honeybee research of others.

You have missed the point I don't have a sample size . I apply my research of honey bee enclosures to the honeybee research of others.

Its difficult to tell. Springer have a nice little earner going. Its getting like pay-per-view tv where you can't access published papers now unless you are willing to pay through the nose. I can't see many beekeepers reading your paper

I wonder, what is the problem. You buy a polyhive and that's it . It surely has enough insulation in UK climate.

When I changed to plastic hives, respiration water and condensation was different compared to wooden hives.

Last edited:

If you are dissatisfied with previous studies on poly hives and bees, why not do the experiments yourself using live bees? It would seem the obvious thing for a beekeeper to do.
I am assuming you keep bees, as well as doing all this interesting heat transfer stuff.

If you are dissatisfied with previous studies on poly hives and bees, why not do the experiments yourself using live bees? It would seem the obvious thing for a beekeeper to do.
I am assuming you keep bees, as well as doing all this interesting heat transfer stuff.

To do it properly would take many more colonies than I would like to assist in keeping. I would have to outsource that level of effort :)

Its difficult to tell. Springer have a nice little earner going. Its getting like pay-per-view tv where you can't access published papers now unless you are willing to pay through the nose. I can't see many beekeepers reading your paper

Pm me and I will email you a copy of the manuscript.

I'm not clever enough to understand most of it, I'd rather watch Derek and Elaine do it panto style

Latest posts

Back