Is Insulation the name of the Game?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends how you define works - random event you happen to get right or consistent accuracy and precision.

Any well educated person knows its rubbish.

Clearly not yourself.

Again, why don't you leave the forum to those who are interested in bees?

Clearly not yourself.

Again, why don't you leave the forum to those who are interested in bees?

Clowns bring lightness and laughter to forums..

I measured some hive temperatures under insulation.

Out temp is +5C. No wind

H1....2 Langstroth boxes. Back upper part 15C and above cluster centre 19C.

H2....one box give. Very full of bees. Above cluster centre 20, and in back part 17C.

H3.... 6 frame nuc. One frame has brood. No clustering. Best temp 24C.

Handfull of bees outside the hive . Bees in poly feeder's gap. Temp 17C.

I took away feeders from 15 hives. All had cluster. Out temp was 8C.

Last edited:
Rubbish ... Seal the top of the hive to the Crown board, slab of kingspan on top and a solid roof over that. No fiurther ventilation whatsoever required with a mesh floor ...

What do you think the bees do at the top of the hive prior to winter ? Chew holes in the top of it so that they can be ventilated or seal everything they can up with propolis and brace comb across the top of the frames .. ??

I think, from the description by Finman, that the 9mm board must transmit moisture/humidity from the hive up to what is roof-space. Somehow, that moisture has to find its way through the foam rubber insulation from where it needs to evaporate. The metal roof keeps the weather off the foam rubber but has ventilation holes to allow moist air to vent to atmosphere. I guess, provided the vent holes don't allow a breeze through the roofspace, that it must work otherwise Finnie, who for all his faults is an experienced beekeeper, would not use this system.

Phil. Your polycarbonate cover boards, being impermeable, would not lend themselves to this sort of roof. The foam rubber is probably not as good an insulator as your PIR (which with its attached two sheets of aluminium foil is also impermeable) but better than nothing and cheap (secondhand mattresses).

CVB

I think, from the description by Finman, that the 9mm board must transmit moisture/humidity from the hive up to what is roof-space. Somehow, that moisture has to find its way through the foam rubber insulation from where it needs to evaporate. The metal roof keeps the weather off the foam rubber but has ventilation holes to allow moist air to vent to atmosphere. I guess, provided the vent holes don't allow a breeze through the roofspace,

that it must work otherwise Finnie, who for all his faults is an experienced beekeeper, would not use this system.

CVB

This is very usual construction in Finland. In Britain it does not work because you love to use plywood instead of wood.

It is easy to see with your own eyes, how it works. Even in summer metal roof condensates water inside surface . During day it dry out when sun shines onto roof. If the roof metal touches to the foam, water drills into the foam, and inner cover will contain some litres if water.

The heat from hive moves the moisture through the the foam mattress.

If the loft has not enough air movement, water dripples back to the insulation material.

Moisture goes through the mattres?

The temp of the lower surface of mattres is about 14-20C and upper part
Same as outer temp. Heat comes from cluster and it keeps the mattres dry.

If you use non respirating insulation material, system does bot work.

Foam plastic mattres has a huge price, if you buy it. But used ones are freely picked here and there.

I have used many material in this place, but mice love that hotel really much. Warm place and buffet near.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back