Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it was done in another country with a different climate and conditions but Randy Oliver tested feeding a whole load of different pollen substitutes and found they made quite a difference.
In the best cases they resulted in 6 frames of brood vs 3 in the non fed controls.
Both articles with results here.
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/a-comparative-test-of-the-pollen-sub/

I was at his place in October & he was doing a trial of a new formulation vs. the best commercially available one vs. pollen vs. sugar. He said he discovered that even the best commercially available pollen sub was missing 2 vital nutrients, so he got a manufacturer to add them & that was what he was testing.

Of course, in CA they feed throughout the "Winter" to ensure colonies are strong and ready for almond pollination in February. Completely different here, and where I am there is loads of pollen most of the time bees are flying. In CA they have drought.

I've posted on this subject previously.

Feeding a Pollen SUPPLEMENT does have significant benefits if fed at the right time.

Unfortunately kitchen sink mixes will not work as the required ingredients, technical expertise in formulating and processing equipment are not available to Joe public.
So don't waste your time and money trying to mix your own.

Of all the commercially available products only one comes anywhere near close to being beneficial and that is Ultrabee.

I should reiterate that I have NO vested interest in Ultrabee, rather my comments are based on a career in nutrition and experience feeding bees.

I've posted on this subject previously.

Feeding a Pollen SUPPLEMENT does have significant benefits if fed at the right time.

Unfortunately kitchen sink mixes will not work as the required ingredients, technical expertise in formulating and processing equipment are not available to Joe public.
So don't waste your time and money trying to mix your own.

Of all the commercially available products only one comes anywhere near close to being beneficial and that is Ultrabee.

I should reiterate that I have NO vested interest in Ultrabee, rather my comments are based on a career in nutrition and experience feeding bees.

Would be interested on views on Candi pollen gold...... if in the same ballpark as pollen subs?

:calmdown:

Wow. Almost total agreement for once:).

Been thinking about pollen substitute feeding for some time, but I'll keep my hands in my pockets. Thanks for opinions everyone.

Unfortunately kitchen sink mixes will not work as the required ingredients, technical expertise in formulating and processing equipment are not available .

That is my experience too after spring feeding 28 years.

All beekeepers believe that feeding sugar in spring adds brooding, but feeding protein does not. ... Such is life. 50% out of patty is sugar. Otherwise patty ferments.

I start feeding 3 weeks before willow blooming. When willow blooms in May, often bees cannot forage in willows. Then they eate part or larvae. Often 50% out of brood are missing. They has been eaten. When I give protein patty (pollen, yeast, soya), the brood area it even.

When bees get multi flower pollen in late May, they stop patty eating.

Willows' raw protein content is 15%. But it is only practical forage to bees and to other insects at the first half of May.

Last edited:
I do wonder why the Spanish sterilised pollen is no longer available. It was beautifully clean and the bees loved it.

PH

I do wonder why the Spanish sterilised pollen is no longer available. It was beautifully clean and the bees loved it.

PH

I have wondered same thing. I have now Italian irradiated pollen 40€/kg.

Pollen as a super food has terribly high price. I think that pollen can be sold this way easily. Look Amazon.com.

Most of my patty protein is dry yeast. It is 4€/kg.

Would be interested on views on Candi pollen gold...... if in the same ballpark as pollen subs?

:calmdown:

Candipoline claims to be something it is not, that is, a fondant with a useful level of added pollen.

Around 2% added pollen by weight, is at best insignificant with little to no effect on colony performance.

Clever marketing of fondant at a high price.

PH

I contacted a company there about 2 years ago. They'd no problem supplying it but wanted a minimum order of 1t. I think 8t was the ideal batch size for irradiation.
Maybe there's a better margin on the alternatives.
Would be wary about using imported pollen here in case dept of ag decide to test my honey.

Latest posts

Back