Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr C

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What will you be supplemented your bees With have you had good results with it thanks you in Advance.

What will you be supplemented your bees With have you had good results with it thanks you in Advance.

Ultra bee is probably best of the bunch, can be fed dry as powder , in homemade or readymade patties.
No need for it in spring for me unless the weather was grim long term as i have abundant winter/spring pollen sources. I find it most useful mid august to mid/late September when the ivy starts , though i carry on dry feeding during ivy as theyre still keen to take it.

Last edited:

I make my own pollen patties # using Ultra Bee (from Bee Equipment). I apply Feb/March. It's not that there is not local pollen - there is lots- but sometimes our weather can be cold/wet/snowy/horrible for a long time in Spring. I also use them when Queen Rearing.

# Michael Palmer's recipe
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=532139&posted=1#post532139

I use thymolated syrup to prevent it going off in storage..Bees appear to like it . I apply in greaseproof paper placed on top of brood combs (small eke).

As to quantifying impact... difficult as I apply to all colonies..

Last edited:
Last spring I had to remove pollen stores no supplements needed here, I've noticed pollen stores on the inspection board this winter so far .

I apply Feb/March. It's not that there is not local pollen - there is lots- but sometimes our weather can be cold/wet/snowy/horrible for a long time in Spring.

Do you feed when you apply the pollen?

I've never done it but last spring was so grim I'm considering it this year - I am unsure if the pollen would make them consume more stores.

Do you feed when you apply the pollen?

I've never done it but last spring was so grim I'm considering it this year - I am unsure if the pollen would make them consume more stores.

Well, if you look at the formula I use, half of it is sugar syrup so I don't.

Ultrabeee Description:

"These patties are 20% crude protein made with essential oils (pro health) and will help promote healthier and stronger Bees, it is ready to feed to your Bees when you need it. Ultra Bee contains Beneficial vitamins, lipids, and minerals which will help increase brood production."

No mention of pollen at all.

When I made up pollen patties I used pollen, sugar and defatted soya flour. Then the pollen became unavailable and the flowering period of OSR got so short it was also so early it was and is useless to me so I no longer even think about PP's. Has it made any difference? Nothing that I can see.

PH

As JBM......nothing.

Done lots of experiments with various products...results vary from marginal to giving the bees digestive issues. Last spring tipped a TONNE of pollen substitute patties into landfill. Were a complete waste of money.

Another BF I knew gave up on patties after pollen became unavailable, as in irridated pollen and then found the lack of made no odds so I relaxed and gave up on it too.

PH

As JBM......nothing.

Done lots of experiments with various products...results vary from marginal to giving the bees digestive issues. Last spring tipped a TONNE of pollen substitute patties into landfill. Were a complete waste of money.

What happened to the go off

Latest posts

Back