Entombed Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That just looks like a frame from the edge of a brood nest. What's the problem?
Do you see the bee bread cells that have been covered by a thin layer of propolis? We had the entombed bee bread in those cells tested...full of agricultural and industrial chemicals. IMO, the bees are trying to isolate that contaminated bee bread from the colony.

Do you see the bee bread cells that have been covered by a thin layer of propolis? We had the entombed bee bread in those cells tested...full of agricultural and industrial chemicals. IMO, the bees are trying to isolate that contaminated bee bread from the colony.
When you say Agro and Industrial chemicals what types. Pesticide / weedkiller and what about industrial, heavy metals etc. Intrigued that's all.

I wonder if wax moth grubs would avoid those cells too? I wouldn't imagine pollen mites could get at it?
I'll have a look for entombed pollen in comb to see if we get it here.

Ah, I see. I was assuming they were wet with nectar. I wonder if the bees would sort it if you went over it with a "heather roller" though that would mean exposing them to the chemicals you mentioned.
Maybe just melt them down & make candles (rather than use for bees).

How thick is the propolis layer?

Is this what you mean? I have always thought this is what I was told was pickled pollen (bee bread) ie cells of lactic preserved pollen

Attachments

• P1.JPG
    P1.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 2
  • P2.JPG
    P2.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Frame of bee bread.jpg
    Frame of bee bread.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 2
Is this what you mean? I have always thought this is what I was told was pickled pollen (bee bread) ie cells of lactic preserved pollen
That looks different to what Michael has, mind you, I can't enlarge your photos to get a good look at them.

Ok, and did the pollen under it look similar in colour and depth to the uncovered yellowish pollen in the other cells in the photo?
No it isn't the same colour. Almost always brick red. When I was in Veracruz, Mexico, I saw a lot of entombed pollen.
The apiary was on the edge of a coffee plantation. The coffee plants were dying from a fungal infection. I assume lots of fungicides being used there.

When you say Agro and Industrial chemicals what types. Pesticide / weedkiller and what about industrial, heavy metals etc. Intrigued that's all.
Perhaps the fungicide chlorothalonil? (see first link above).

Perhaps the fungicide chlorothalonil? (see first link above).
Many thanks. Interesting that it may increase the incidence of Nosema c. And also as per many chemicals, additives etc it's banned in the EU and, hopefully/premuserably the UK to.

Latest posts

Back