Pollen charts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Has anyone ever made a pollen chart with pollen? I know varieties of the same species of tree for example can vary in colour BUT recently we’ve been looking at pollen charts from different sources and some of the colours are way of.
Good evening 🙂

How would you stop the pollen colour from fading? And store it so it wasn’t affected by mites?
It sounds a good idea, and I’ll join in if you start it.
So far, I use Dorothy Hodges colour chart.

How would you stop the pollen colour from fading? And store it so it wasn’t affected by mites?
It sounds a good idea, and I’ll join in if you start it.
So far, I use Dorothy Hodges colour chart.
Pollen frozen then alcohol mixed with it, perpet used in between clear Slides.
Pollen will need drying first after freezing/storage.

Pollen frozen then alcohol mixed with it, perpet used in between clear Slides.
Pollen will need drying first after freezing/storage.
Then how do share your chart? Pictures? Then you run into the same problem as all the other charts.
Finnie's idea is a good one but even then one person's photograph of bramble may have different rendition than another's

I'll put in a word here on behalf of Margaret Adams sadly no longer with us but her book is a real work of dedication knowledge and skill.
Pollen Grains and Honeydew.

Pete

Then how do share your chart? Pictures? Then you run into the same problem as all the other charts
how do you share a tallboy full of glass slides of pollen?

Pollen frozen then alcohol mixed with it, perpet used in between clear Slides

Kirk spent countless hours running back and fore to the printers checking and double checking that the colours in his guide were correct, but even he said that the colour you see in individual grains under a microscope does differ from a pollen load in a bee's pollen sacks

You may take pictures when the bees forage pollen in flowers.
Started doing that already but the photos aren’t the best.
how do you share a tallboy full of glass slides of pollen?

Kirk spent countless hours running back and fore to the printers checking and double checking that the colours in his guide were correct, but even he said that the colour you see in individual grains under a microscope does differ from a pollen load in a bee's pollen sacks
well visually we look at bees baskets mostly so samples would need to reflect this, the problem is the printing I can feel for Kirk .

Then how do share your chart? Pictures? Then you run into the same problem as all the other charts.
Finnie's idea is a good one but even then one person's photograph of bramble may have different rendition than another's
Live video not printing record a video ?
Even as a reel ?

Started doing that already but the photos aren’t the best.

well visually we look at bees baskets mostly so samples would need to reflect this, the problem is the printing I can feel for Kirk .

The best is to look flowers, what kind of pollen balls bees bring home.

Latest posts

Back