Plant ID Please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit difficult to tell from that photo - could be an apple (but leaves usually toothed to a degree) or looking at the way it is shooting further down the branch some sort or sallow/goat willow
Thank you... Is there any particular shot that would help further?

Thank you... Is there any particular shot that would help further?
A picture of the whole the whole plant and a close up of the bark might help. I'm tending towards the sallow/goat willow option. If it is that, then really that is as far as you can go without catkins at least, since they hybridise, although you can tell Salix caprea and S cinerea apart by the presence of ridges on the wood underneath the back - but your plant may be a bit immature for that as yet.

Gut feel is that it is one of the sallows/goat willows. Good for bees in the spring though when mature (catkins). If it has flowers then it is something else!
No flowers yet... It's is a bit close to the house for comfort, so it may get moved.

No flowers yet... It's is a bit close to the house for comfort, so it may get moved.
If I'm right then it is more of a large shrub than a tree, but can still get to 2-3 metres high, and as with all willows is thirsty, so yes maybe a bit to close. They will easily root this time of year if you just stick a piece in the ground.

If I'm right then it is more of a large shrub than a tree, but can still get to 2-3 metres high, and as with all willows is thirsty, so yes maybe a bit to close. They will easily root this time of year if you just stick a piece in the ground.
Thanks RJC, I can see travel in its future....

Gut feel is that it is one of the sallows/goat willows. Good for bees in the spring though when mature (catkins). If it has flowers then it is something else!
:iagree: plenty of them spring up all the time at Brynmair, some years, when the weather is right the whole falley seems to be filled with clouds of seeds as they scatter

I would advise moving it well away from the house. We have one we had to take down due to rot in the branches. Has proved very difficult to remove stump and roots.

Latest posts

Back