Plans & Cutting Sheets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I am finding on that site is pics Dean, no plans.

The cakes of beeswax I would remove, sheesh it's black.

PH

as some one who messes around with the odd stick can i just make one silly point and no matter what drawings are used and from what source, please always use those drawings for ever more, i know of at least eight differant drawings and diamentions for a national hive , so one some the frames will slot in lovely and on others the frames i use are to long to fit in, a classic case of frame maker and hive maker using differant drawing diamentions, so what ever you find stick with it and as for there being just one set of standard sizes ? sorry there never will be

as some one who messes around with the odd stick can i just make one silly point and no matter what drawings are used and from what source, please always use those drawings for ever more, i know of at least eight differant drawings and diamentions for a national hive , so one some the frames will slot in lovely and on others the frames i use are to long to fit in, a classic case of frame maker and hive maker using differant drawing diamentions, so what ever you find stick with it and as for there being just one set of standard sizes ? sorry there never will be

Thats a very good point Pete, If I try any new plans I always try my existing parts to make sure they are going to fit before making more than one.

The devil as always is in the detail

Hi Dave and HPete,

Martin's runner detail is questionable. Frame details from Dave Cushman's site (gospel).

356mm frame sidebar width
+ 88mm 2 * runner widths + 2 * 12mm end plates = (2 * 32) + (2 * 12)
= = = =
444mm frame width + plates + runners.

460mm std length of side
- 444mm
= = = =
16mm (2 * bee space of 8mm)

So far so good.

460mm std length of side
- 30mm 2 * (15mm shoulder width of each runner) (32mm - 17mm rebate width)
= = = =
430mm space allowed for National fram top bar.

Ouch, Top bar length = 432mm without allowance for clearance.
By my reckoning, we are about 4mm short, necessitating deepening of the runner rebate from 17mm to 19mm, reducing the width of each shoulder from 15mm to 13mm, so yes work out the figures and check your frames are going to fit before you get to actually cutting the bits.

I agree. I made up a nuc box from these plans and it didn't work out too well.

I prefer the plans on the scottish beekeeping website, or H Pete's instructional videos on this forum video section.

JC.

Back