Pictures of your hives and where you keep them..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shame about the fence!

Its called a fedge half fence half hedge. Its willow and in the photo its early stage. Simply stick willow cuttings into the ground and it will grow, unfortunately it has struggled as its a bit dry on that site and willow likes its feet in water but I have pushed in many more this year and they are looking happier and looking a lot more full. I get the willow for free I am surrounded by it.

Not exactly my hive apart from the national converted to hold a TBH Nuc with me helping a friend set up his TBH on his roof in Teddington.

Its called a fedge half fence half hedge. Its willow and in the photo its early stage. Simply stick willow cuttings into the ground and it will grow, unfortunately it has struggled as its a bit dry on that site and willow likes its feet in water but I have pushed in many more this year and they are looking happier and looking a lot more full. I get the willow for free I am surrounded by it.

Tom

Taken another look at the picture and can see it now. I imagine that once established it will look great.

Not exactly my hive apart from the national converted to hold a TBH Nuc with me helping a friend set up his TBH on his roof in Teddington.

Urban ...and very edgy...

My bees on the farm

null-14.jpg

In the garden

Before and after Jane's make-over, our new hive, kindly gifted from a friend. Just waiting for some bees.
The 'dog' bowl will be re-located by the way :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is that last one chained up in case someone nicks it Dusty ? I'm a bit surprised that they don't have lead roofs - do the Manchester town planners know their roofs are not in keeping with the surroundings ?

That is a truly awesome sight. Does it sometimes get a bit blowy up there though?

Hi all.

Yes, it's lovely up there but a bit blowey at times.

The hive tied to the turret was the original. We were worried about the effects of wind and the heat of the sun on the lead roof. So we located it there as a trial.

All C/E Churches are very strictly controlled by the church authorities and you have to get a "faculty" (formal permission) for most things. So, we couldn't drill holes in the fabric to make secure anchor points - nor would the architect allow strappings round the parapets, as they'd be see from below.

That's why the new hives have been fixed on metre-long, 4x2 beams - for stability and to protect the lead from damage from the weight.

We'll have to see if it works.

Dusty

Latest posts

Back