Pictures of your hives and where you keep them..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do my eyes deceive me or are some of the hives not vertical ? Especially on the right?

Or is it lens distortion?

All vertical.....

Another Apiary has had some less than genetically blessed person driving golf balls into my poly hives and did £450 of damage. Police informed.

madasafish, That's amazing! How do you cut the grass around the hives? Scissors? :-o

I cut around with an Atco Balmoral B17 petrol driven cylinder mower which I bought second hand in 2000. Very carefully.

Under the hives I use an electric strimmer.

In shorts in this weather. The bees appear to treat my gardening antics with disdain even when I accidentally jolt a hive.

If the grass is very long due to sloth on my part or bad weather, I use a 1973 Hayter Hayterette rotary mower I "inherited" from my father..

I cut around with an Atco Balmoral B17 petrol driven cylinder mower ..

Ahhh. ... a Rolls Royce of lawnmowers then - perhaps the Atco Royale is the next step up - once your knees start to go ? Might have to have your hives spaced a bit further apart though and straighter lines .... to match the stripes ?

Ahhh. ... a Rolls Royce of lawnmowers then - perhaps the Atco Royale is the next step up - once your knees start to go ? Might have to have your hives spaced a bit further apart though and straighter lines .... to match the stripes ?

I'll take the huff and flounce out if you are unkind to me. (Again!)
I want my mummy...bee-smillie

I'll take the huff and flounce out if you are unkind to me. (Again!)
I want my mummy...bee-smillie

It's only the envy of your lawn that brings out the worst in me .... after last winter mine looks like the aftermath of the Somme and the dog chasing the squirrels hasn't helped !

It's only the envy of your lawn that brings out the worst in me .... after last winter mine looks like the aftermath of the Somme and the dog chasing the squirrels hasn't helped !

I trapped out the local squirrels four years ago. They have not yet recovered.

Be thankful you don't have moles. Catch one and it's like advertising an empty house free.. so another moves in.

Few pics of some of ours.

This is our smallest apiary, with just 4 for a fancy hotel expanding to 10 shortly.

Here is one that was a little overgrown till we managed to get out this week with the strimmer.

One of our apiaries in Australia (with me standing there with the legs out)

Last edited:
Lovely skeps Goran ... Do you get some honey out of them or are they just there for the bees ?
We bought them primarily as beginners to get some swarms ( two were mine). Last year I transferred the second to a lang box, cut out the comb with food and place in the frames and turn it back to a colony and some other who seems needed.. When they empty them, I took the frames out..
I was surprised how strong the comb were even nothing were inside to support it ( as usually some branch in cross or so)..
At my place is said it usually swarms from 3-6 times depending about conditions..
About swarming tendency that doesn't show as many say. Perhaps these young queens crossed with drones which a from colonies which doesn't have such tendency..

We bought them primarily as beginners to get some swarms ( two were mine). Last year I transferred the second to a lang box, cut out the comb with food and place in the frames and turn it back to a colony and some other who seems needed.. When they empty them, I took the frames out..
I was surprised how strong the comb were even nothing were inside to support it ( as usually some branch in cross or so)..
At my place is said it usually swarms from 3-6 times depending about conditions..
About swarming tendency that doesn't show as many say. Perhaps these young queens crossed with drones which a from colonies which doesn't have such tendency..

Whereabouts in Croatia do you live Goran, I spent many great holidays on the coast around Rijecka in the late 1960's and travelled quite extensively inland as well ... lovely part of the world.

Whereabouts in Croatia do you live Goran, I spent many great holidays on the coast around Rijecka in the late 1960's and travelled quite extensively inland as well ... lovely part of the world.

Inland, Lipik. These weeks we have temperatures above 30celsius, they prognosed some rain ( as I should believe them it is raining from yesterday here - they are joking with us..).
The most west I were was Spain and France, but heard a lot of your climate..

Forgot to put some newer picture..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back