Partially capped frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is a problem I've had at the end of the season (August) over my two or three summers, but I'm having it at the moment as I'd like to take a couple of full supers off (I think the main source has been OSR and I want to extract them before they granulate).

The problem is that although the supers are pretty full, with each frame partially capped, none of them are fully capped. So can/should you remove and extract them when not fully capped? At the end of the season it gets frustrating as they never seem to 'finish' them, and I must admit in the end I have removed them even if only half capped (with no ill effect so far).

Is there a percentage above which the moisture content is likely to mean it will be ok to remove them or must they be fully capped to do it properly?

This is where your refractometer comes in. If the moisture is below 21% it is safe to take off and extract. Above that and its decidedly dodgy from the point of future fermentation.

PH

I find my refractometer really helpful here.
I extracted some honey this week and performed the shake test on two half capped frames. No honey came out so I would normally have extracted it. My refractometer told me otherwise for one of the frames and back to the bees it went.

Cazza

Oh right, thanks for that both. I know we can't recommend individual products on here, but can you provide me with a guide price range so I know I'm getting something appropriate (bearing in mind I'm a small scale hobbyist...).

I got mine from Hong Kong via ebay it was less than £15 (a couple of years ago)

I got mine from Hong Kong via ebay it was less than £15 (a couple of years ago)
Similar to mine I guess, several listed under 20 quid including postage. You might even save a few pennies by buying from one of the listings in Euros.

A refractometer is a great reassurance. The cheap ones may not be as robust as the 'professional' models but you're not using it every day or taking it into the field. The basics of light refraction is fairly simple so if you use it indoors, keep it clean and don't drop it there's no reason why it shouldn't do an adequate job for years.

got mine from hong kong as well works a treat and about £20

Has anyone tested the factory set calibration of the cheap HK refractometers? I didn't get the calibration oil and can't find any cheap sources. If the error is only 0.5% or so I might not bother.

Thanks for the recommendations all. Ebay it is then!

Took 80lb of OSR honey off yesterday. Majority of it uncapped. Passed the shake test and water content was 18% max in any of the frames tested.

My Hong Kong refractometer was spot on with calibration. No change since last year.

gainexpress is the person on eeee bayyy that I got mine from

Latest posts

Back