usual spring honey harvest challenge

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i get to this stage each year when there is a lot of OSR around and other nectar that 'sets'

super frames capped and need to take off to spin before setting
but desire to leave them on until back end of spring so they capture setting honey and it doesnt mix with summer

i end up spinning before flow over and then having to put them back on and therefore have a second spin....

do others have simple ways around this...

i get to this stage each year when there is a lot of OSR around and other nectar that 'sets'

super frames capped and need to take off to spin before setting
but desire to leave them on until back end of spring so they capture setting honey and it doesnt mix with summer

i end up spinning before flow over and then having to put them back on and therefore have a second spin....

do others have simple ways around this...

This is my first spring and also have some capped stores in the super so, whilst I can't answer your question, I'm also interested in any 'constructive' answers you get to your question.

but isnt other spring nectar equally as likely to set....hawthorn, blackthorn etc...i was under impression it wasnt just OSR

do people have 'runny honey' from spring crops without heating etc?
Yes ... I get a lot of tree blossom..sets eventually but so does summer honey. Nothing like the quick setting characteristics of OSR. We don't get a lot within reasonable flying distance - and on the odd occasion when we do I think my lazy little beggars hit the horse chestnut and sycamores that are betwen us and the OSR and in bloom almost at the same time.

but isnt other spring nectar equally as likely to set....hawthorn, blackthorn etc...i was under impression it wasnt just OSR

do people have 'runny honey' from spring crops without heating etc?
Yes I leave mine for another 4 weeks yet and I have the odd central part of frames which is starting to set , in three seasons I’ve not had a spring crop that’s set in the frames .

I had to take mine off earlier rather than later, otherwise no chance. Now living in a non osr area and thankful, even if my spring crop is minimal

but isnt other spring nectar equally as likely to set....hawthorn, blackthorn
nowhere near as likely. Dandelion sets but only after it's been taken off the hive, and even then it takes weeks.. I've had spring honey taken off in September and only then it's starting to set

I think bee farmers just let the last of the OSR set then slam it in the apimelter
Possibly emyr how much of it would be set in the frames if my own spring crop has minimal set frames .
The bees are going to use some and then the summer crop is put in the outside of frames .
I’ve seen two or three different honeys in frames

I don’t understand. So the bees are allowed to forage in OSR but they eat all of it so there is none set in the frames at harvest or for some reason the OSR doesn’t set till it’s in buckets even if it’s spun off in August? What am I missing?

Latest posts

Back