Painting WBC lifts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I'm revamping a WBC hive including replacing some of the wood and want to paint the lifts white for aesthetic reasons.
What paint do the collective use?
I like the idea of a water based masonry paint but would a primer, undercoat and gloss system give a better long term result??

Call me old fashioned if you want - oil based paint on wood every time. Preparation is the key. Dry wood. Sanded.Primer. Undercoat.two thinner topcoats = durability and aesthetics.

I won’t say the best because someone will be along and say I am wrong but sadolin super dec. If used on new wood an appropriate primer preservative first and then coat up. If on old paint 1 coat zinzer primer(123 stain killer sealer/primer)then coat up, super dec will require an extra coat or 2 but is water based and in a warm room or in the sun you can do several coats in a day. Also being water based you can slap it on, expensive stuff but very good

What are you painting on top of???????

What wood is it??

Where are you going to put the completed hive?

If it's Cedar, I'd be tempted to just give it a lime wash. Perhaps because I can lay my hands on good slaked lime but that would be the traditional route too.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'm going to go the primer, undercoat, topcoat route as it will cover the repairs I have to make to the old WBC.
I'm also going to make some new WBC lifts to cover a national hive that is going to be in the garden of an estate where the owners would like to have a traditional looking hive. The cedar timber is air drying at this moment!

I'm also going to make some new WBC lifts to cover a national hive that is going to be in the garden of an estate where the owners would like to have a traditional looking hive. The cedar timber is air drying at this moment!

Don't forget Paint is waterproof both ways..it keeps water out and it also keeps it in....
:hairpull:

Lime-wash. :nature-smiley-005:

Every time.

Nasty stuff but "Traditional", (& safe when dry).

:nature-smiley-013:

Lime wash would be nice but won't cover the filling and new bits of timber.
Getting hold of lime wash isn't easy either... 😕

Latest posts

Back