painting a poly hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I think the ones coated with masonry paint have started to look a little grubby but the gloss painted ones still look fine. Where most of my hives are located, aesthetics are not really an issue. If I was going out to buy paint for poly hives I would go for gloss paint. So far I ahve really just been using up paint I had to hand.....

well I have put a first coat of gloss on my national polyhive, it went on like a dream and for one coat looks pretty good I will give it a second coat tomorrow and it should look good then...

I am hopefull it will last longer and be a bit more durable than masonary paint or as a lot of people have said they used emulsion,

fingers crossed

I did do a test patch first and there was no adverse affect..

my polyhive is a p***es spoke to them at the spring convention and everything seemed good so bought one, I do have a ply hive as well which I have made and can duplicate they both look good now painted,
how do you put a picture up??

Search for photobucket n google then upload it will then generate a img URL paste that here job done.

I will take some pics and try and sort that out tomorrow,

fingers crossed

I have not mastered how to post a pic yet but both my hives poly and ply look good in their nice new gloss paint,

Looking for a Nuc of bees now if anyone locally can help please..

my poly hive is a 14x12

my young son who is 7 has helped all the way from carrying my poly hive from the spring convention to making a ply hive, he has helped paint and make the frames, read the haynes bee manual now keeps asking when are the bees coming.

I will have another go at posting a pic in the next few days.

bee-smillie

One of the advantages of masonry paint over gloss is it is water based so cleaning things afterwards is a lot easier, especially if you use a spray gun. You can spray masonry paint even with a cheap low powered gun* if you thin it down to about 50:50 with water. Lay out all the hive bits on a sheet on the ground and give them a quick coat, if you have a few hives to paint and you do it on a sunny day you will find by the time you have finished the first coat it will be dry enough for a second application.

*My experience is with compressed air spray guns, I would not be sure a cheap airless gun would do the job as masonry paints have abrasives in them to improve adhesion. However,there are very expensive industrial airless guns (circa £1K) which are made for spraying masonry paint.

To be fair I used a roller on mine and paint brush for awkward areas finish came out nice.

Repainted my Pains poly yesterday. Cuprinol Garden Shades "Old English Green" instead of B&Q white masonry paint.
Went on fine. (And on a new {unprimed, etc} nuc.)

Land Rover-style olive drab sludge green looks MUCH better on the Pains than garden-dirty 'white'.
And doesn't stand out like a sore thumb ...

Recommended!

Repainted my Pains poly yesterday. Cuprinol Garden Shades "Old English Green" instead of B&Q white masonry paint.

Did you paint over the masonry paint, and what sort of coverage do you get per litre of the cuprinol?

Somerset green is nice also! Buttercup blast, forget me not blue and summer damson look better on wooden hive parts...the darker colours go on polly much better than the light ones!

As for my pot of pink honeysuckle...no comment

Has anyone on the forum tried using a sprayer, cuprinol or other, with garden shades?
I just thought it may be a faster route to a reasonable finish.
Tim

P's poly nuc feeder

I've just ordered a nuc from P's and yet another hive.
Does anyone paint inside the nuc feeder and if so with what and how?

I'll be back in a day or two to answer my own post re. spraying polys.

Tim

Painted my swienty feeders with Dulux Weathershield Smooth Masonry paint in a colour of your choice, seems to be recommended for over gloss for inside the feeders.

I dont think you need to paint inside the feeder.

I bought a low pressure sprayer from B&Q about 50 pounds if i recall correctly.

It worked great with masonary paint but the paint was thined down first. speed of application and coverage was less tedious than brushing.

I would recomened the spraying process over brushing.

I dont think you need to paint inside the feeder.

I bought a low pressure sprayer from B&Q about 50 pounds if i recall correctly.

It worked great with masonary paint but the paint was thined down first. speed of application and coverage was less tedious than brushing.

I would recomened the spraying process over brushing.

The pro's recommend you do ideally hence why I've done it.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=191031&postcount=47

I've just ordered a nuc from P's and yet another hive.
Does anyone paint inside the nuc feeder and if so with what and how?

I advise that the P's polynuc feeder is best blocked off -- from the side with the supplied piece of solid plastic and from the top with foam.
It is so much easier to be able to pretend that it simply isn't there.
And that way, you definitely don't need to paint it.
You also gain an even better insulated wall for starting off your nuc up against.

Paint should not - for P's - be needed for leak-proofing.
However, paint should make it easier to clean out, after use.
BUT you need to realise that you can't really do anything about cleaning out the built-in feeder while there are bees in residence in the box!
Using it for 5 frames plus a traditional (removable!) frame feeder works very well, imho.
Another alternative is to buy an extra P's eke, make your own coverboard with a feeder hole, and use a "nuc rapid feeder" (small round green plastic thing, ~£5 from T's).
You could even ask P's whether their "Small box feeder" (£4.80) fits inside the eke - I don't know. Sadly T's honey jar contact feeder doesn't fit...
The 'spare' eke can also take insulation for overwintering ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back