painting a poly hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you paint over the masonry paint, and what sort of coverage do you get per litre of the cuprinol?

Yes.
2 coats, 3 supers, 1 floor, 1 roof (& 1 nuc roof, used for colour testing) and a 14x12 brood. Used less than 1/3 of a litre, liberally applied by brush.

When painting inside poly ashforth or miller feeders, three or four coats of interior gloss paint should be used, otherwise mould will grow inside the poly.

Yes.
2 coats, 3 supers, 1 floor, 1 roof (& 1 nuc roof, used for colour testing) and a 14x12 brood. Used less than 1/3 of a litre, liberally applied by brush.

:thanks:

:icon_204-2:Asked a friend/relative (they don't alwaus go together!) whose a painter if he had a little smooth masonry paint going spare (any colour so long as the queens could see it - I expected pink or bright green) to paint a couple of new Kielers i have acquired, just noticed a little 'package' stashed by the side of the house earlier - an almost full 10 litlre tin of smooth masonry paint in.............. white!:icon_204-2:

View attachment 8528
That's what happens if you don't paint the inside of the feeder on an overwintered nuc

Wilco's white masonry paint with some dried plant dyes mixed in; not exactly low key but my daughter chose it :D

Last edited:
P's poly nuc feeder

I've just tried spraying a new nuc with a 2lt. pump-up sprayer, the jetting appears to be all wrong for the thickness of the paint, it applied a vey thick lumpy layer which I then brushed out and finished the job by brush.

Itma,
Having just tried it for size I can confirm that a 4pt. rapid feeder from a national supplier not far from me in Devon fits inside the eke on the nuc with no problems, so I've ordered another eke from P's and will blank off the built-in feeder and produce a ply feeder board to suit. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tim :)

Last edited:
Sorry folks if I'm getting fixated on this subject.

Having just made 2 cover boards fron an 8x4 sheet of 6mm ply the offcut is exactly the right size for a P's nuc, a nice bonus!!

Tim

Having just made 2 cover boards fron an 8x4 sheet of 6mm ply the offcut is exactly the right size for a P's nuc,Tim

if that's 8x4 feet - can I have the leftovers kicking around! or are they flippin big crown boards? :D

Latest posts

Back