Maisemore poly nuc feeder leaking?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Anyone got any experience of the maisemore poly nuc feeders?

I hived a small swarm ten days ago in a maisemore commercial poly nuc. We added a feeder and pollen patties to give them a boost in the cold weather.

The feeder is painted internally with exterior gloss. The only bit that we didn't paint was the sides inside the bee compartment so that they get a good foot hold out of the syrup.

Today my better half popped in to see if the queen was laying and found the inside of the hive seemed damp with a small pool of syrup on the top bars?

Anyone experienced a leaking poly feeder. I wouldn't have thought that syrup could leave through painted poly?

I have one and had no problem with it leaking through, but after a while painted it inside with water-based masonry paint (which is rough) as wasps started burrowing into the side to get at the syrup, and that solved the problem.
Maybe there's a small crack in your poly so you could try another coat of an absorbant paint.

I only use masonry paint, so can't comment on gloss, but I haven't had this problem. Can't see why using gloss would be a problem, though I wouldn't use it on the inside of a feeder personally (can't quite explain why!)

Robmort may be right about a crack.

Was it definitely syrup and not a drip of condensation down through the centre? I've seen beads of condensation on the clear window, not had any leak and I gave up painting the pans as it made no difference.

Was it definitely syrup and not a drip of condensation down through the centre? I've seen beads of condensation on the clear window, not had any leak and I gave up painting the pans as it made no difference.
This is a definite possibility. Good thinking.

Like JBM mines not painted and I've never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back