Overwintering a Maisemore Poly Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codford

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A quick one for any Maisemore poly nuc owners out there.

I have a very small, very late (end Sep) swarm in a Maisemore 14x12 poly nuc (with associated small Miller type feeder that I am looking to nurse through to spring) - more in hope than expectation. They are Q+ with brood. Later this week I will be switching them from 2:1 syrup to fondant.

Question: how do people feed fondant to Maisemore poly nuc with associated small Miller type feeder? One option seems to be to remove the clear perspex cover, and the two poly dividers from the feeder, put the fondant in there and let the bees come up and access it that way.

How do others do it?

[Maisemore nucs are bottom space and I don't think the feeder can be inverted and still make a seal]

I find that if they have been well fed they won't need any supplementary feeding, I usually end up removing frames of stores come the spring.
Even if you remove the two dividers you still have the raised centre slot and they won't climb out through the slot to try and find the fondant in the syrup tray

Question: how do people feed fondant to Maisemore poly nuc with associated small Miller type feeder? One option seems to be to remove the clear perspex cover, and the two poly dividers from the feeder, put the fondant in there and let the bees come up and access it that way.
Take the feeder off and put a thin layer of fondant over the top bars. Top the lot with a home made crown board with a rim to accommodate the fondant

I had to feed two colonies today in maisemore nucs. I cut a long piece of fondant, similar in size to a nice generous piece of rump steak. I then droop this into the feeder section, over the qx divider thing, and across the tops of frames, flattening as it as I go..
Was a balmy 13 degrees and is still warm down here in South East Essex and will be for a good few more days.
I overwinter plenty of nucs but this is the first year I have had to feed them at this time of year. Normally they are solid from syrup.

I have the thin and thicker roofs for mine the thicker roofs accommodate fondant on the top bars better which is what I would do.
@Swarm I suppose you could use a bung from a demi John, I feed fondant in the feeder earlier on and I didn't think of doing that tidy!

If you want to keep them in the box when you check on them, cut a sheet of polythene with a little flap for a feeder hole. Use the roof for dimensions of the size you need, I had the polythene wrapping from a new rug which was an ideal thickness. Lay this on the top bars, open the little flap and place the fondant on. The roof will still push down and will help to 'form' any overlapping polythene.
Works a treat ;)

Good advice as I’m overwintering a Maisemore poly nuc for the first time. I assume that hefting the nuc is simply a case of lifting it up. Does anyone here actually weigh the nuc and if so, how do they do it?

I weigh mine using a strap and luggage scales.
Strap is wrapped around the centre of the nuc and I lift and weigh with my scales, making sure the strap is in the centre to get the balance right when you lift. Hefting a nuc isn't as easy as a single brood or more.
I was also thinking and adding to swarms post parchment paper would work also, I use it in all my fondant boards and above my mini nucs and the bees haven't chewed it.
It can be reused also.
I took this photo of the roofs do maisemore sell both? IMG_20211117_093219.jpg

I’ve still got the feeder sitting on top of the brood box but want to take it off and just put on the clear Perspex crownboard. Probably a dumb beginners question, but when you put the crownboard on top, it sits flush to the frames and so does not allow the bees move across the top. Is this an issue given they have the space at the bottom?

I’ve still got the feeder sitting on top of the brood box but want to take it off and just put on the clear Perspex crownboard. Probably a dumb beginners question, but when you put the crownboard on top, it sits flush to the frames and so does not allow the bees move across the top. Is this an issue given they have the space at the bottom?
I don’t like that so my Maisie’s nucs have a rimmed polycarbonate crownboard and a deepened roof. Works a treat

Did you just glue some wood or plastic around the edge of the polycarbonate to make it?
Yes. They all have a polycarbonate 8mm rim glued on. So then the hive below becomes top space. As I said I had to deepen the roof and that’s just a wooden rim added and painted over

Latest posts

Back