Maisemore poly nuc winter question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably the same as the solid floors I have (with the smaller entrance fixed permanently in place) - they were made that way.
Benefit of OMF's is any detritus falls through, handy for vaping through the floors, no need for travel screens when I move them, there are others, but to be honest I cannot be bothered to list them, but fear of my bees suffocating is definitely not one of them

Last edited:
Benefit of OMF's is any detritus falls through, handy for vaping through the floors, no need for travel screens when I move them, there are others, but to be honest I cannot be bothered playing your little games.
It's not me who's playing games. That would infer I've changed my stance to suit the argument, which I haven't.

And there's no need for insulting comments.
'Wedmore rubbish floating to the surface'...'guff'...'crooked logic'. Is this what we should expect from a moderator?

All the benefits of OMFs you listed above can be achieved by temporarily taking out the inserts. But you don't, you leave them out for the winter. Validating my point.

"Damp air is worse than cold" is human association born out of living in poorly insulated houses. high relative humidity has NOTHING to do with low temperatures and almost nothing directly to do with heat loss.
I will give you another human association that is the opposite "saunas are damp and very hot and good for you." and just as meaningless.

Honeybees control humidity, they want it high to brood in, and low to make honey. They do this in tree hollows that , if uncontrolled, dump very high quantities of water vapour into the air. Ever felled a tree? the wood in there is wet .There is a frog in Australia that makes use of tree hollow water vapour to get Warm!

The only truth is condensate with a temperature much below 18C falling on the bees is not good news. Sticking a big hole in floor is a very odd way of avoiding it.

Dont second guess the bees just give them as close to a tree hollow as is practical

I don't have inserts period.
The discussion in this part of the thread centred on full all-round insulation or open ventilation at the bottom.
You dismissed out of hand my opinion that bottom ventilation is better, yet still use fully open floors yourself.
Look closer to home at who's playing games.

Latest posts

Back