Packed Comb Set

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margaret Elisabeth

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hoping for a little advice.
The comb I packed is setting or has already set. If I warm the packs in a water bath will it release chemicals into the honey?

You would be unlikely to be able to control the temperature accurately enough to melt the honey but not the wax.

Oddly enough, one of the best methods of delaying granulation in cut-comb honey is to keep it in the freezer.
A 48 hour chill kills wax moth (and braula) that could spoil the comb. But storage in freezing conditions can keep the honey runny ...
However, if that honey is 'set' on granulating, you are only delaying the inevitable.
For cut comb, you really need a honey that will stay runny (and even then, sell or consume it quickly!) So don't put the cut comb frames on until the OSR is past, and get it off well before there's any suggestion of Ivy. Take your chances with the Clover!

I have seen the suggestion to put the cut comb foundation frames on the hive for the OSR flow - so that the wax is drawn on that flow. The chap doing this extracted those frames (and washed out the cells?) and then stored the drawn frames away until his heather flow. Giving the bees drawn comb to fill with Heather honey maximised his heather cut comb production - and that was much much more valuable to him than mere OSR.

I doubt that you will be able to salvage the cut comb. But you should be able to rescue the honey.

Granulated cut comb honey can be brought back to a liquid state by warming the combs, in the containers, in an incubator for two or three days, without harming/melting/distorting the wax comb.

Granulated cut comb honey can be brought back to a liquid state by warming the combs, in the containers, in an incubator for two or three days, without harming/melting/distorting the wax comb.

Yes, one would need very precise and stable temperature control.

What temperature does your incubator run at - just under 40C?

Are you talking personal use or for sale?
If for personal use, then what I do is just cut off the bit I'm about to use and warm for a few seconds in a microwave. Keep an eye on it and stop as soon as there's signs its liquifying. Spreads well on toast after that.

Had a jar of honey with a nice piece of comb in it crystallize and I popped it in my friends dishwasher at 35*c came out perfect. That dishwasher has proved very handy this year. Nice clean jar also.

What sort of incubator do you use is it for hatching hens eggs? Do different eggs need different temps.?

What sort of incubator do you use is it for hatching hens eggs? Do different eggs need different temps.?

I have three incubators, two are from a company called Banbury incuators, these are made for incubating eggs, the other much bigger incubator is from a scientific kind of lab, not sure what they used to incubate in it, but it wasn't birds eggs.

I usually run the incubator at 35c for queen cells, and another at a lower temp to keep virgin queens in for a short while if needed.

I have three incubators, two are from a company called Banbury incuators, these are made for incubating eggs, the other much bigger incubator is from a scientific kind of lab, not sure what they used to incubate in it, but it wasn't birds eggs.

I usually run the incubator at 35c for queen cells, and another at a lower temp to keep virgin queens in for a short while if needed.

So what would you recommend for the problem I have?

I know this won't sort your problem immediately but a honey warming cabinet is a really handy bit of kit especially if you are selling your honey. Maybe a project for this year?

2013 honey is a clear as the day I jarred it but last years crop set really quickly.

2013 honey is a clear as the day I jarred it but last years crop set really quickly.

:iagree: got half a dozen buckets harvested in September and it's already rock hard, the rest needs a good few days in the cabinet before it's clear again

:iagree: got half a dozen buckets harvested in September and it's already rock hard, the rest needs a good few days in the cabinet before it's clear again

This was harvested in early October and one side of the comb is dark, I thought Heather and the other light perhaps Himalayan Balsam as White Pollen Ghosts were foraging. I took a risk I know. Then the weather worsened and I stopped selling at the door. I am looking for an economical way to re-runny.

So what would you recommend for the problem I have?

Warm the cut combs in the containers in a warming cabinet, or incubator (same thing really) with thermostat set between 40 to 42c for two or three days, i have used slightly higher temp for the last few hours in the past, but not always needed, depends much on the honey type.

Warm the cut combs in the containers in a warming cabinet, or incubator (same thing really) with thermostat set between 40 to 42c for two or three days, i have used slightly higher temp for the last few hours in the past, but not always needed, depends much on the honey type.
Thanks I Have an idea of the temperature. I was looking at incubators but the ads. dont give any Idea of what temperature they run at or can be set to. There is a thing called a Brooder Hen on the Titan site, same thing no temp. indication. Any ideas on what temperature that would run at, I am waiting for a response to my enquiry from the site. The brooder would be a bargain if it is ok.

chicken egg incubators run at around 36-37 C, any hotter can be damaging to the chick embryo so 38C is about the hottest that an egg incubator should go.

Latest posts

Back