Oxalic vaporiser query

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I would like to start using the Oxalic vaporiser on my hives, but will have a slight problem in that the gap in my hive doorways is to narrow.

I was wondering if it would be suitable to place the vaporiser into the hive by inserting it in at the rear where the removable floor is inserted?
With a wire mesh floor the vapour is still able to rise upwards.

Does anybody else apply it this way as all the videos/instructions say show it going in the front?

Regards

I would like to start using the Oxalic vaporiser on my hives, but will have a slight problem in that the gap in my hive doorways is to narrow.

I was wondering if it would be suitable to place the vaporiser into the hive by inserting it in at the rear where the removable floor is inserted?
With a wire mesh floor the vapour is still able to rise upwards.

Does anybody else apply it this way as all the videos/instructions say show it going in the front?

Regards

Might the vapour corrode the mesh in time ?

That's how most that vape under the omf do it. From the back of the hive having sealed the rest of the box. As for corroding the mesh mine are ok still after four years but I would just change to stainless if they showed signs of fatigue

That's how most that vape under the omf do it. From the back of the hive having sealed the rest of the box. As for corroding the mesh mine are ok still after four years but I would just change to stainless if they showed signs of fatigue
:iagree: i'm new at this but i 100% agree, even if you do not go for stainless a piece of carbon steel mesh is pretty cheap and easy to replace.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Am pleased that this can be done from the back and under the floor.

I just need a vaporiser next!

They seem quite expensive for what they are. Has anyone used the cheaper vaporiser alternative sold by Thornes (£35.00) compared with the more expensive option at £100.00?

Regards

Thanks for the replies. Am pleased that this can be done from the back and under the floor.

They seem quite expensive for what they are. Has anyone used the cheaper vaporiser alternative sold by Thornes (£35.00) compared with the more expensive option at £100.00?

Regards

If you look back on the threads on this forum I am sure I saw a few clever individuals that made their own. Personally i have the 100 £ ish varrox, which i have just treated over 150 colonies with this late summer.( treated lots last year with this too!!) its time consuming but very reliable piece if kit. I could not afford to treat with anything else. Thinking of buying something a little quicker for next year.
Obviously the number of hives you intend to have makes the obvious economic decision easier!

If you look back on the threads on this forum I am sure I saw a few clever individuals that made their own. Personally i have the 100 £ ish varrox, which i have just treated over 150 colonies with this late summer.( treated lots last year with this too!!) its time consuming but very reliable piece if kit. I could not afford to treat with anything else. Thinking of buying something a little quicker for next year.
Obviously the number of hives you intend to have makes the obvious economic decision easier!

As above
Do not forget the mask and bucket of vaporiser cooling water!

Under the mesh.. I do not worry about blocking up entrance.

2g measuring cup is a good idea ( Varox comes with one)
2 1/2 minutes per colony... remove cool and refill and move onto next ... as quick as slopping Apiguard on IMOLAHO !
I now use a smaller deep cycle battery as easier to carry and got two for price of one from local Farm suppliers ( Mole Valley) with 100m of electric fence SWMBO wanted for her chicken run!!

Nos da

Regards

Depends how much work you are going to give it - the Thrones one looks OK and well made but when you compare it to the varrox you realise how 'tinny' and lightweight it is. Not knocking the kit, it's worth the money and I'm sure it would do for the for the apocryphal 'two hive owner' (comment not meant to be derogatory in any way before the hand wringing starts out there folks :D) good for entry level and not too much money for something to trial the system.

Latest posts

Back