Oxalic sublimation for Autumn Treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure any of the brood timing and emergence matters in the slightest. There is constantly emerging set of bees and newly formed mites.
Its how long a newly emerged varroa mite has to remain in it's 1st phoretic stage before it can jump back in and breed again that is the critical bit.
I'm not sure, but 3 days is an oft quoted figure....which is also the supposed effective period of an OA vape. So you kill those mites and presumably any emerging in the next three days. Any emerging on days 4 and 5 will be hit at the next 5 day vape and so on.

These timing may be way off the money but currently they are all I have to go on.

How do you explain that other European countries use 7 day interwalls in vaping????

And they have vaped hives even before Britain had mites.

Normally these things have been tested on field researches and not counted on soffa.

Last edited:
How do you explain that other European countries use 7 day interwalls in vaping????

I don't...... the first I heard of it was when you said they did.
Perhaps you can explain how this European timing works with the interval between a mite leaving a cell and being able to go back and breed?

Perhaps you can explain how this European timing works with the interval between a mite leaving a cell and being able to go back and breed?

It is not my job, because I do not use the world's best varroa killer, vaporazion.

Our best killer is trickling. it is simple job.

I believe that oxalic dust works in the hive several days.

Please let us know how this goes.
I have a colony showing similar symptoms though I have only just done the second vape.
Horrendous drop and no obvious DWV bees with either affected wings or shortened abdomens.
The first five day's drop is 780 and it was 200 on the morning after the second vape.

Didn't Charlievictorbravo have something similar last year?
I have had the same last year with my angry and no more Queen, the mites kept dropping in large numbers, i give a 5th vape and after that all was good

Please let us know how this goes.
I have a colony showing similar symptoms though I have only just done the second vape.
Horrendous drop and no obvious DWV bees with either affected wings or shortened abdomens.
The first five day's drop is 780 and it was 200 on the morning after the second vape.

Didn't Charlievictorbravo have something similar last year?

I did indeed. 5 vapourised Oxalic Acid-based treatments starting at the end of July. By the beginning of September, the natural drop was down to 5 per day but later that month it shot up again to 27 pd so I did 4 Thymol-based treatments and finally defeated them in the first week in November when the daily counts were down to 2 pd. By that time, I had counted nearly 6000 dead mites. I still haven't figured out what went wrong but go wrong they did!

CVB

I did indeed. 5 vapourised Oxalic Acid-based treatments starting at the end of July. By the beginning of September, the natural drop was down to 5 per day but later that month it shot up again to 27 pd so I did 4 Thymol-based treatments and finally defeated them in the first week in November when the daily counts were down to 2 pd. By that time, I had counted nearly 6000 dead mites. I still haven't figured out what went wrong but go wrong they did!

CVB

Ah yes....i remember your graphs.
Did the colony pull through the winter?

Ah yes....i remember your graphs.
Did the colony pull through the winter?

Yes, that colony survived winter and went on to produce 26kg of honey this year but something similar has happened this year with the same colony. From bumbling along with daily mite drops in the low single figures, the mite population seemed to explode in late July and I did a check using the NBU Varroa Calculator which said I had 1300 mites in the colony and that I should treat as soon as possible. The first vape was on 22 August with the third to be done on tomorrow (31st). So far, I've counted 1270 mites.

I know constantly counting mites is laughed at by some but I'm an engineer - if I can't measure it, it does not exist! Saying "I've got a daily natural drop of 16 measured over 7 days" is better, in my view, than saying "I've got quite a lot of mites in my hive"

CVB

Latest posts

Back