Oxalic vaping now.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbyjove

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ONE
The weather has somewhat disrupted my Oxalic vaping.
Did the second lot 3 days ago, another tomorrow.
I have two hives at the moment about three feet
apart.
One colony, now into it's third year has almost no Varroa drop at all.
My second colony that I had as a swarm last year , has such a heavy drop, probably in the 100s , I actually gave up counting.
Same when the Apiguard went on.
First colony minimal, second huge.
Would Thymol in the syrup also help with Varroa removal ?

I have two hives at the moment about three feet
apart.
One colony, now into it's third year has almost no Varroa drop at all.
My second colony that I had as a swarm last year , has such a heavy drop, probably in the 100s , I actually gave up counting.
Same when the Apiguard went on.
First colony minimal, second huge.
No I don’t think so thymol is used to stop the syrup from moulding and to help with nosema/dysentery

no - not at all
why do you think they need a three vape cycle at this time of year? do you think they are seriously brooding?
It's a bit too cold to vape at the moment anyway - they will be in a tight cluster, I have left the last apiary until daytime temperatures rise a little

no - not at all

why do you think they need a three vape cycle at this time of year? do you think they are seriously brooding?
It's a bit too cold to vape at the moment anyway - they will be in a tight cluster, I have left the last apiary until daytime temperatures rise a little
I just wondered about the Thymol.
I put it in my syrup to preserve it but wondered if it would have any effect.
I was under the (mistaken ?) impression that you vaped around christmas time.
I will take your advice and leave alone for now.

I just wondered about the Thymol.
I put it in my syrup to preserve it but wondered if it would have any effect.
I was under the (mistaken ?) impression that you vaped around christmas time.
I will take your advice and leave alone for now.
You do vape around Christmas time when there is less likelyhood of any brood but on a day when the bees are moving. Above 6⁰ I aim for

You do vape around Christmas time when there is less likelyhood of any brood but on a day when the bees are moving. Above 6⁰ I aim for
Hi there. . .
Some Beeks are now suggesting that Vaping is done a little earlier,* say the latter part of Nov, early Dec.
Of course subject to where you live* : Weather, Temps, are you in the South of the UK, in the Highlands, the EU, USA even Down Under. 🙃

I have made my own Vape Gear, using a Dosing Measure added into a Vape Dispensing Tool, heated with a 'Cooking' Creme Brulee (Gas Flame Burner) Torch.
(Around £10 on AMZ UK : Also Bundle of x5 extra Gas Cannister around £15 per Set.)
I have done x3 separate treatments and used only 1/2 a cannister on x10 different sized Hives and Nucs.

Personally, I wouldn't add Thymol to 1:1 Syrup. I make and add it as the Bees need it, Freshly made.
(Of course those with many Hives or Apiaries will need Syrup in Bulk, and that needs to be Stored safely.)

Best to Feed 1: 1 when they are ramping up Brood numbers. Ideally in Spring. Syrup should be given to Colonies only if its not Cold or experiencing Freezing conditions.
When a Swarm is housed. Doing a Split off a strong Colony to have 'Nucs' to replace your failed Hive(s).
1:1 will be taken down while Nectar Resources are limited, or a Dearth (little Flowering) Is on. . .If their is a good Flow of Nectar, the Bees will mainly ignore the Syrup (!)
Its vital to recoup Colony losses if you lose one through Winter ! (Or your down to only x1 Hive that's weak !?!)
1:1 Syrup has an important role to assist a Colony but is only one form of Feeding Intervention.

I would always question what the 'Issue' is. Seek Advice or ways to to remedy the problem. And gear it to my locality and what's available to the Bees. What's done in Oct in Cornwall is too late for Orkney.
Get the idea ! Question what your doing and why your doing it. . . 🙄

Hope everybody's Bees are nice and cosy in their Hives and Nucs.
It was so. . .COLD 🥶 last night !!!
The Coldest Temps in Years. Yikes.

Hi there. . .
Some Beeks are now suggesting that Vaping is done a little earlier,* say the latter part of Nov, early Dec.
Of course subject to where you live* : Weather, Temps, are you in the South of the UK, in the Highlands, the EU, USA even Down Under. 🙃

I have made my own Vape Gear, using a Dosing Measure added into a Vape Dispensing Tool, heated with a 'Cooking' Creme Brulee (Gas Flame Burner) Torch.
(Around £10 on AMZ UK : Also Bundle of x5 extra Gas Cannister around £15 per Set.)
I have done x3 separate treatments and used only 1/2 a cannister on x10 different sized Hives and Nucs.

Personally, I wouldn't add Thymol to 1:1 Syrup. I make and add it as the Bees need it, Freshly made.
(Of course those with many Hives or Apiaries will need Syrup in Bulk, and that needs to be Stored safely.)

Best to Feed 1: 1 when they are ramping up Brood numbers. Ideally in Spring. Syrup should be given to Colonies only if its not Cold or experiencing Freezing conditions.
When a Swarm is housed. Doing a Split off a strong Colony to have 'Nucs' to replace your failed Hive(s).
1:1 will be taken down while Nectar Resources are limited, or a Dearth (little Flowering) Is on. . .If their is a good Flow of Nectar, the Bees will mainly ignore the Syrup (!)
Its vital to recoup Colony losses if you lose one through Winter ! (Or your down to only x1 Hive that's weak !?!)
1:1 Syrup has an important role to assist a Colony but is only one form of Feeding Intervention.

I would always question what the 'Issue' is. Seek Advice or ways to to remedy the problem. And gear it to my locality and what's available to the Bees. What's done in Oct in Cornwall is too late for Orkney.
Get the idea ! Question what your doing and why your doing it. . . 🙄

Hope everybody's Bees are nice and cosy in their Hives and Nucs.
It was so. . .COLD 🥶 last night !!!
The Coldest Temps in Years. Yikes.
Please don't misunderstand me. I don't 'only' vape around Christmas. I also do it in November and maybe this year in Spring too.

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't 'only' vape around Christmas. I also do it in November and maybe this year in Spring too.
No problem. . . Didn't think that. 😏

I until recently had only done O/A via a Dribble/Trickle. (As this uses a 'Liquid', it's not good to do in the Winter !)
I don't have access to an O/A Wand pp a Car Battery use. And can only dream of one of those amazing [DeWalt] :Battery Pack type Oxalic Acid Vaping Machine: (Handheld Devices.) They are SO Expensive £££'s ! Maybe one day...
So my DIY ones with a Brulee Torch will have to do. Heat one, watch the O/A Vape. And Heat and Prep the next. Go back, collect. Then
Reposition and Repeat. Nice.
And as Literature / Industry advise the next V.M Treatment, try to do that too. Our Bees need our help for the foreseeable future. . . 😎

In terms of the practicality of vaping, am I right in thinking that most of you vape from the top of the hive? If so, do you take off the crownboard; or just lift it; or poke the vaper in through any feed-holes in the top? I'd like to know what the best practice is.

I've considered making a shallow frame with a plugable hole drilled in the side so that I can vape in horizontally just below the crownboard without removing it. Does anyone else do that?

Grateful for advice...

In terms of the practicality of vaping, am I right in thinking that most of you vape from the top of the hive? If so, do you take off the crownboard; or just lift it; or poke the vaper in through any feed-holes in the top? I'd like to know what the best practice is.

I've considered making a shallow frame with a plugable hole drilled in the side so that I can vape in horizontally just below the crownboard without removing it. Does anyone else do that?

Grateful for advice...
I modify some reversible cbs with a hole drilled in the eke which the majority of the time stays on the hives after autumn treatment .
I also use some 10 mm copper pipe left in the hole so as not to burn the wood .

am I right in thinking that most of you vape from the top of the hive?
nope - I don't see much point really and it just means more disruption to the hive.
I do all mine from under the OMF and within seconds of it sublimating it's coming out of any gaps at the top of the hive

Depends what device you are using to delivery the OA. I do both bottom & top vaping & prefer the top. Quick & simple reversal of CB, then straight into the hole.

Attachments

• Reversing nuc cb .mov
    31.5 MB
  • IMG_4810.png
    IMG_4810.png
    5 MB · Views: 2
Depends what device you are using to delivery the OA. I do both bottom & top vaping & prefer the top. Quick & simple reversal of CB, then straight into the hole.
Completely agree

Latest posts

Back