Oxalic....it's official!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drstitson

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
the makers of Apilifevar (chemicals laif) have got official approval from the italian regulators for their oxalic formulation (simple 35g sachet to dissolve in 500ml syrup and treat 10 hives).

works out at 65 cents a hive but needs to be done under veterinary supervision and recorded in your drugs log.

Vets will be making a little extra pocket money as well,so every one happy happy happy.

actually they don't charge too much unlike the UK crooks - 25-40 euro for consult, saline drip, vitamins, steroids and antibiotics.

it's only 10 euro to have a vet come and check your home slaughtered pig and test for tapeworms.

many vets moonlight as pet food reps at weekends!!!!

forgot to mention - the "new" product is Apibioxal.

Can I be the first to say ..... 35g sachets, 886mg oxalic acid dihydrate per g, into 500ml 1:1 syrup ...

Isn't that 6.2% oxalic acid dihydrate (w/v)? A bit strong, but presumably that is how the Italians like it.

G.

Can I be the first to say ..... 35g sachets, 886mg oxalic acid dihydrate per g, into 500ml 1:1 syrup ...

Isn't that 6.2% oxalic acid dihydrate (w/v)? A bit strong, but presumably that is how the Italians like it.

G.

That is a WOPPING BIG dose !

will stick to the 7/100/100 formula:leaving:

G.

Of course- oxalic double espresso!

the SE regional Bee inspector Alan Byham last week implied that if or should i say when something like Apilifevar (possibly as early as October 2011) is approved

Then oxalic acid, at whatever % you wish to apply it ,could no longer be legally applied in the UK to a hive as there was a VMD approved alternative "Apilifevar"

but i expect it will be a bit like apiguard versus thymol patties, the non approved thymol will still be used even though not VMD approved

the SE regional Bee inspector Alan Byham last week implied that if or should i say when something like Apilifevar (possibly as early as October 2011) is approved

Then oxalic acid, at whatever % you wish to apply it ,could no longer be legally applied in the UK to a hive as there was a VMD approved alternative "Apilifevar"

but i expect it will be a bit like apiguard versus thymol patties, the non approved thymol will still be used even though not VMD approved

I guess that we will all take to lightening the wood on the interior of the hive as Boris recommends for his Olympic velodrome. Rhubarb. :)

Latest posts

Back