Api-bioxal Oxalic Treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it would be unfortunate if both Varrox and Api-Bioxal were to be advising an inadequate spec for PPE.

Or the University of Sussex 'H&S man' being over zealous with his advice/interpretation?
You know what the clowns are like in this country.

I've spoken to "The Senior Inspector", that heads up the NBU, of whatever they calls it now, and he said off the record,"he treats with generic OA, over Winter, but he would not write it down on his medical card! because if there's any Beekeeper's medical card they would check, it's likely to be his", so his advice, treat with generic OA, and do not write it on your medical record!

I've spoken to "The Senior Inspector", that heads up the NBU, of whatever they calls it now, and he said off the record,"he treats with generic OA, over Winter, but he would not write it down on his medical card! because if there's any Beekeeper's medical card they would check, it's likely to be his", so his advice, treat with generic OA, and do not write it on your medical record!

I am a very firm believer in ONLY putting 'authorised medicines' on the Veterinary Medicines Record.
Whether you choose to record other 'events' with your normal colony notes, or in a special little black book, or simply forget to do it is a matter of personal preference.
But recording unauthorised treatments on the Medications Record strikes me as wilfully looking for trouble.

Keeping tabs on Api-Bioxal use is hardly going to be simple, given the differing number of hives that can be treated from one packet depending on whether you choose to trickle or vaporise. And then there's the odd make up of their syrup recipe ... are people going to diverge from the authorised instructions?

One important point to remember is that Oxalic use is generally (OK not entirely) in midwinter. In winter the Inspectorate staffing is minimal ... so, if they were going to get interested, it'd probably be on the basis of what had been recorded, rather than on what they caught you doing (because that isn't going to happen.)

So, my BBKA Newsletter delivered today, says that Api-Bioxal has marketing authorisation from the VDM and that "other oxalic acid products currently marketed in the UK as treatments for varroosis are now considered illegal medicines".

They are "in the process of contacting manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers to ensure they are aware of the situation and that they take appropriate action to ensure compliance......."

So, if you want to use anything else, is get your order in quickly; Thornes are still advertising oxalic acid and crystals. Or am I missing something?

Dusty

Thornes are still advertising oxalic acid and crystals. Or am I missing something?

They can sell it, they just can't market it as a treatment.

Oxalic sublimation seems to be very popular with some people, I know one chap that's done it three times on the same hive this year - I have no idea why.

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over this - no way can they ban the sale of Oxalic crystals (first time I encountered it was at sea for cleaning the deck brasswork.)
as (if forecasts are correct) the only approved medicine would be Apibioxial thus the only one you need put on your veterinary medicine card, if you used anything else, there would be no record of it anywhere - so how can they prove it.

Completly agree!! How many people have had their hives tested for illegally administered varroa treatments??????like we've all said before, someone is not happy we're not using prescribed treatments, aka the big boys are losing money!!
Hurts dosent it!! Ha! The other thing is, is that oxyalic acid is difficult to prove high levels even if they did test, as it's already in the hive natrually!!
Just treat and say nothing!!

Last edited:
So, my BBKA Newsletter delivered today, says that Api-Bioxal has marketing authorisation from the VDM and that "other oxalic acid products currently marketed in the UK as treatments for varroosis are now considered illegal medicines".

They are "in the process of contacting manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers to ensure they are aware of the situation and that they take appropriate action to ensure compliance......."

So, if you want to use anything else, is get your order in quickly; Thornes are still advertising oxalic acid and crystals. Or am I missing something?

Dusty
The usual codswallop being churned out by the BBKA - does it matter if our usual suppliers can't label it as medicine any more - look under cleaning materials instead - or look in a yacht chandlers - good stuff for cleaning down GRP hulls and brasswork

The usual codswallop being churned out by the BBKA - does it matter if our usual suppliers can't label it as medicine any more - look under cleaning materials instead - or look in a yacht chandlers - good stuff for cleaning down GRP hulls and brasswork

Exactly !!

treat with generic OA, and do not write it on your medical record

So are the 1000,000 of beekeepers vaporising with OA criminals?

Just stocked up with deck cleaner for £8.00 for 1kg... I had to take a picture of my yacht and a copy of the mooring fees / yacht club membership/ Yachtmasters certificate and Liability insurance certificate... because the chandelier thought that I may be a beekeeperer and would be liable if I used it illegally !

Yeghes da

The usual codswallop being churned out by the BBKA

To be fair to the BBKA they aren't churning it out they are highlighting the legal position. I don't have an issue with the legal position either - medicines should have to go through some sort of formal regulatory process.

To be fair to the BBKA they aren't churning it out they are highlighting the legal position. I don't have an issue with the legal position either - medicines should have to go through some sort of formal regulatory process.

It's oxalic acid - the only difference is api bioxial comes in a pretty package, if they have approved the use of oxalic, they've approved the use of oxalic, period!!
So as they have approved the use of oxalic acid, I shall continue to use it.

They can sell it, they just can't market it as a treatment.

From Thornes Catalogue description of Oxalic acid 3.2%:
"A ready mixed solution of sugar syrup and Oxalic Acid di-hydrate.
Suitable for trickling into seams of bees to control varroa".

Does that constitute a 'treatment'?

Dusty

From Thornes Catalogue"

Oxalic acid: "A ready mixed solution of sugar syrup and Oxalic Acid di-hydrate.
Suitable for trickling into seams of bees to control varroa".

Does that constitute a 'treatment'?

Dusty

just buy the neat oxalic acid and then mix it yourself - also save a fortune doing it that way (and the pans look spotless after you've mixed the syrup :D)

But as I said - i don't use it as a medicine, but it's great for sanitising the hive and frames at the end of the season

No...as long as they are using Api-Bioxal.

Phew... last time I was up in front of the beek for reckless lawbreaking...it was for riding a push bike without any lights... I got off because it was recorded as 12.00 noon Midsummers Day when Plod nicked me!!:icon_204-2:

Nos da

Latest posts

Back