Oxalic acid sublimation treatment this winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
As the forum is a little quiet at present, thought would start thread on Oxalic acid sublimation this particular winter. I would normally be thinking of sublimating my national hives, nadired with a super, at the end of the month with 1.5g oxalic acid dihydrate. There are two issues, firstly here in the south we have not had a frost yet and day time temperatures are up to 15˚C. Hence rather uncertain when they are likely to be bloodless to do single treatment. Secondly, I bought enough chemical grade oxalic acid (800g for £5 including postage) to last me a generation a 3 or 4 years back but now expected to use Api-Bioxal at 2.3g per hive equates to essentially 2g oxalic acid dihydrate. A 35g packet will treat about 17 hives by sublimation at cost of about 65p each rather than 2.5p. I clearly have bought Api-Bioxal to use legally but mark up on the oxalic acid is staggering considering the 35g packet Api-Bioxal at about £11 contains about 11p worth of oxalic acid dihydrate.

As the forum is a little quiet at present, thought would start thread on Oxalic acid sublimation this particular winter. I would normally be thinking of sublimating my national hives, nadired with a super, at the end of the month with 1.5g oxalic acid dihydrate. There are two issues, firstly here in the south we have not had a frost yet and day time temperatures are up to 15˚C. Hence rather uncertain when they are likely to be bloodless to do single treatment. Secondly, I bought enough chemical grade oxalic acid (800g for £5 including postage) to last me a generation a 3 or 4 years back but now expected to use Api-Bioxal at 2.3g per hive equates to essentially 2g oxalic acid dihydrate. A 35g packet will treat about 17 hives by sublimation at cost of about 65p each rather than 2.5p. I clearly have bought Api-Bioxal to use legally but mark up on the oxalic acid is staggering considering the 35g packet Api-Bioxal at about £11 contains about 11p worth of oxalic acid dihydrate.

BUT... you will be saving the £39 licence fee by using the ONLY licenced Oxallic product.
Shirley you should be hitting the varroa with 3 vaping treatments at 10 day intervals?

Yeghes da

BUT... you will be saving the £39 licence fee by using the ONLY licenced Oxallic product.
Shirley you should be hitting the varroa with 3 vaping treatments at 10 day intervals?

Yeghes da
Sorry if I have missing something, licence fee for what?

Sorry if I have missing something, licence fee for what?

don't worry about it - apparently, from now on you will need a licence to buy OA from a chemist shop - but only if you want to make bombs with it.
I am being very conscientious and am currently destroying my stock of oxalic acid, it's costing me as I had to buy a special appliance to dispose of it responsibly - it's called a Varrox and works off a car battery - you can only destroy it 2 grams at a time, so it may take a little while :D

don't worry about it - apparently, from now on you will need a licence to buy OA from a chemist shop - but only if you want to make bombs with it.
I am being very conscientious and am currently destroying my stock of oxalic acid, it's costing me as I had to buy a special appliance to dispose of it responsibly - it's called a Varrox and works off a car battery - you can only destroy it 2 grams at a time, so it may take a little while :D

:nono::beatdeadhorse5:bee-smilliebee-smillie:svengo:

one pixi saves 100 words!!

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back