Api-bioxal Oxalic Treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I think its a scandal that someone can seek approval for a commonly used substance of long standing, and have all other ways to deliver the same substance declared illegal.

I am off to patent a feeding method for syrup...to treat the bees against death by starvation......and get normal feeding declared illegal.

This is THAT ridiculous.

We are hard pressed enough without some smart**s making a clever move and then we all get shafted.

Phew... last time I was up in front of the beek for reckless lawbreaking...it was for riding a push bike without any lights... I got off because it was recorded as 12.00 noon Midsummers Day when Plod nicked me!!:icon_204-2:

Nos da

I can help you to get OA asylum in Croatia..

Personally I think its a scandal that someone can seek approval for a commonly used substance of long standing, and have all other ways to deliver the same substance declared illegal.

Was it a legal medicine to start with?

This just seems to be a quirk in the licensing process. I don't think it'll stop anyone actually using it.

This just seems to be a quirk in the licensing process. I don't think it'll stop anyone actually using it.

I can see OA being regularly used but not recorded, leading to all sorts of wrong assumptions about untreated colonies coping with varroa.
Must remember to plant more rhubard around the apiary ;)

I am off to patent a feeding method for syrup...to treat the bees against death by starvation......and get normal feeding declared illegal.

This is THAT ridiculous.

We are hard pressed enough without some smart**s making a clever move and then we all get shafted.

:yeahthat:

It is a licence to make money without doing anything very much. Of course I will never every use this over priced product again but use plain oxalic acid. If they want to waste taxpayers money to take me to court so be it - I would rather pay the fine.
For you when your business & livelihood is at stake I'm not sure I could be quite so dogmatic.

Unless somebody catches me in the act with the vaporiser stuffed in the hive entrance then I'm a 'do nothing guy' bee-smillie

I wonder how much 'representation' was made by the manufacturers of apibioxial to get that lot passed then?

........erm St Peters needs a new roof and it has to be paid for somehow. Do you think Tetsel's approach was better? It did contribute to quite a spot of bother at the time! ;)

This is THAT ridiculous.

:iagree:
Absolutely ridiculous. I've got a pot that will see me out but that's not the point. What about all the commercial beekeepers that maybe sublimate like HM, for example. Are they expected to be opening hundreds of sachets of expensive Apibioxal into their sublimators?
Is the Daily Mail going to one day run an article about how UK beekeepers are poisoning their honey with wood bleach........I wouldn't be surprised.

There are ways to dodge around this. You buy in a few expensive packets of legal OA to comply with regulations and use t'other stuff in bulk.
Very difficult to prove you have done anything wrong. Not that I would encourage law breaking!!
I'm now resigned to my records showing me as a non OA treater :)

Anyone noticed that Api Bioxal contains glucose. At 400C glucose turns into baked on caramel which would make a fine mess of a shiny new Varrox spoon. The Varrox specification is for pure oxalic acid dihydrate.

Anyone noticed that Api Bioxal contains glucose. At 400C glucose turns into baked on caramel which would make a fine mess of a shiny new Varrox spoon. The Varrox specification is for pure oxalic acid dihydrate.

Good observation... do not think I could afford to waste my hard earned cash on the stuff!

Is there a warning on the packaging not to use it on bees?

Nos da

No. It was never licensed as a bee medication. Of course we all used as a wood bleaching agent to keep our frames nice and smart.

(We are tricklers rather than sublimators btw, and rapidly approaching the age when I become a dribbler.)

The fact our aim was bad and the 5ml went onto the seams of bees rather than the topbars is entirely accidental.

It was always quietly tolerated, better the bees are treated than not.

For the time being I need to keep my decking nice and pale coloured and the picnic table and chairs ditto. Cannot possibly be for bees that I have oxalic acid dehydrate (purchased from a woodcare site), obviously, that would be ridiculous, if used for that I have enough for 20 years. The backpacks, plastic pipes, and 5ml per squeeze sheep dosers might be less easy to explain away............. Slow colonic irrigation as a new sideline perhaps?

Another side to hive/apiary registration to be concerned about. They will know very well if two packs of the licensed products are then claimed to be your only treatment that you must be telling porkies.

Last edited:
No. It was never licensed as a bee medication. Of course we all used as a wood bleaching agent to keep our frames nice and smart.

(We are tricklers rather than sublimators btw, and rapidly approaching the age when I become a dribbler.)

The fact our aim was bad and the 5ml went onto the seams of bees rather than the topbars is entirely accidental.

For the time being I need to keep my decking nice and pale coloured and the picnic table and chairs ditto. Cannot possibly be for bees that I have oxalic acid dehydrate (purchased from a woodcare site), obviously, that would be ridiculous, if used for that I have enough for 20 years. The backpacks, plastic pipes, and 5ml per squeeze sheep dosers might be less easy to explain away............. Slow colonic irrigation as a new sideline perhaps?

Another side to hive/apiary registration to be concerned about. They will know very well if two packs of the licensed products are then claimed to be your only treatment.
:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:
Yeghes da

Another side to hive/apiary registration to be concerned about. They will know very well if two packs of the licensed products are then claimed to be your only treatment that you must be telling porkies.

You use them for targeted weed killing as there are other very presious plants on the sites that you must protect and the 5ml doser is perfect to kill only what you want to.

Back