Oxalic acid Vapouriser using a car battery charger

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
Is it okay to use a car battery charger to heat oxalic vapouriser instead of a battery.l would prefer to use this and not have to buy a battery and lug around .Thanks in advance
John

Hi
Is it okay to use a car battery charger to heat oxalic vapouriser instead of a battery.l would prefer to use this and not have to buy a battery and lug around .Thanks in advance
John
One of those quick start things works
When I used a Varrox on only a few hives it's what I used

There's plenty of 10 amp and above on the Amazon or ebay but Id avoid the Smart type for that job.
If you're into tinkering then an old desktop computer Psu in a weatherproof (but still vented) enclosure will provide plenty of amps
Use the yellow and black wires for 12 volt These things have earth connection built in but obviously you need to be aware of using electricity outdoors and use a Rcbo protected outlet

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I use a mobility scooter battery. It works well and is not too heavy. I found the portable battery jump starters ran out before I had finished. This is what I use 23684-43539b753fe238d3b5d5d694328ab984.data.jpeg

Last edited:
I use a mobility scooter battery. It works well and is not too heavy. I found the portable battery jump starters ran out before I had finished. This is what I use View attachment 36979
I have my mother in laws scooter in the garage ,i could give that a try, will search for a vapouriser .Many thanks 😊

I use a mobility scooter battery. It works well and is not too heavy. I found the portable battery jump starters ran out before I had finished. This is what I use View attachment 36979
Yes it depends on the number of colonies. Mine would I six at a pinch. Once I got more I bought a sublimox and wheel impedimenta in a barrow.

I ended up getting well educated on this topic by an expert. If you think of a normal car battery that is continually charged from the alternator that is not what we need. i.e. We need a battery that holds a charge, is used up and then recharged. I had not heard of mobility scooter batteries but this makes sense. The one i was told to use, and yes it ways a ton, is what is called a Leisure Battery, used in caravans. Not cheap either, but they are designed to be charged up and drawn down to empty and then totally recharged. I can get about 20 plus hives out a single charge on mine. Leisure Batteries | 12v Caravan Batteries | Halfords UK

Leisure batteries- too bloody expensive. I bought a new car battery for about £40.
Does my 12 hives, no bother, and still doing OK after several years. I keep it charged in between vaping sessions.
I initially used an old car battery that I got free from the garage that serviced my car. I got at least 5 years use out of it

I bought a 2 year old Yuasa car battery in 2015.
Still working fine for vapes.
(Yuasa are by far the best 12V battery maker for cars in my view. Our Yaris Yuasa lasted 11 years and my Jazz one 10 years)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions ,I am going to have a think on the method to use ,I was swaying towards the gas vape, but your suggestion Newbeeneil has given me second thoughts .The cost of the battery and the wand is comparable with the gas Vape .
Once again many thanks ,this forum never fails to give answers to so many questions from a newbie
John.

Back