Oxalic Acid help with maths please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bubo on other forum

:seeya:
Bubo at the link above have a style somewhat familiar to me.

6% is 6% and not probably 4%. What is the meaning of numbers it they mean something else?

What is the meaning of numbers it they mean something else?
To distract beekeepers. Otherwise they would open the hives every day in winter.

Ah, and don't forget for tax declaration, state budget, news articles etc.

Last edited:
6% is 6% and not probably 4%. What is the meaning of numbers it they mean something else?

There's only 71.4% oxalic acid in oxalic acid dihydrate (90/126 in old money) so if the "%OA" is in fact the dihydrate there will be the same actual OA in that so it appears as a bigger % because the water attached to the OA is in the higher %. But is still water....

There's only 71.4% oxalic acid in oxalic acid dihydrate (90/126 in old money) so if the "%OA" is in fact the dihydrate there will be the same actual OA in that so it appears as a bigger % because the water attached to the OA is in the higher %. But is still water....

So the OA i have is the dihydrate stuff, now your telling that if i use the 100g of watter and 100g of Sugar with 7.5g of OA i wont have the 3.2% mixture i want/need?

So do i have to up the amount of OA i use as its the dihydrate type?

This is more farsical than the show i have just got back from in brighton lol. And a bloody good show it was to (Spamalot).

it sounds to me like the statastitions have won this one, same numbers different meaning depending on how they are presented.

I am asking Admin to lock this as it is utterly pointless.

PH

So the OA i have is the dihydrate stuff, now your telling that if i use the 100g of watter and 100g of Sugar with 7.5g of OA i wont have the 3.2% mixture i want/need?

So do i have to up the amount of OA i use as its the dihydrate type?

Nope. 75:1000:1000 is right for the dihydrate at that concentration and is what our BKA demonstrates at OA Day. Crystals. Make 'em up. Simples.

The beekeeping suppliers should take responsibility for selling products suited for our climate and up to date science.

There's only 71.4% oxalic acid in oxalic acid dihydrate ....

Yes and there is only 30% men because a man has 70% water. All me should be labeled 30% in a shirt.

Luckily other countries do not know about British calculations. Further more calculations come 10 years late. Thanks to Lord that there was null British members in the European Varroa Group.

30-hjarta.jpg

Last edited:
Erm, Finman the concentrations, inaccurate (non-scientific) labelling and confusion all stems from Italy....which AFAIK is in Europe. Perhaps a sauna and a good beating with birch twigs would take your mind off things....lol.

A sticky for OA could read:

Do not try to use ready mixed solutions of oxalic acid as there are two syrup strengths and three oxalic acid strengths (3, 4.5, 6%) on sale from beekeeping suppliers in the UK and the calculations are quite complex. Different countries use differing strengths hopefully related to their climates and brooding patterns.

Use 75g oxalic acid dihydride crystals and mix in gently to 1000g sugar/1000g water syrup solution at blood temperature. Observe sensible precautions and wear a face mask.

What i am quite surprised about is that Paynes have been caught out like this as they have been beekeepers for some 3 generations, and they have had at least 400hives all that time.

i bet they dont use the readymixed.

Use 75g oxalic acid dihydride crystals and mix in gently to 1000g sugar/1000g water syrup solution at blood temperature. Observe sensible precautions and wear a face mask.

Id*.*! I have not 50 hives. Do you?

Is that relevant Finman? Folk are sensible enough to scale it to their own needs. An Susbees seems to have 17 hives (and perhaps friends with more).

Nice pics Winker - but are you trying to say that the Finns tend to be slim young men and we're podgy overweight ones?!

Remember gavin. 6 (you remember sex) is your hive number, not oxalic acid strenght.

Nice pics Winker - but are you trying to say that the Finns tend to be slim young men and we're podgy overweight ones?!

Nope im saying while they are sat looking at the Snow, were still having fun :cheers2:

LOL!

Wouldn't surprise me if there was some electric heating going on in that Finnish snow shelter.

LOL!

Wouldn't surprise me if there was some electric heating going on in that Finnish snow shelter.

We had yesterday 9C warm and no snow.

Snow shelter? - We live here in stone houses.
Power stations make to us the heat. I see them via window.
That white is an ice cover of sea.

Salmisaaren+voimalaitos+53322.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back