ordering frames/wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
Im just about to order my frames for my national hives. My brood box will be 224mm high and my supers will be 152mm high.

I have noticed that its saying DN1 and DN4 frames and shallow and deep foundations. What frames and foundation should i be buying for my hives. Its also saying shallow and deep thin supers, can someone explain to me what this means along with DN1,DN4 etc..

Thornes catalogue used to have a good explanation of different frames. Do not know about their latest edition though. I use DN4 in my brood box (self spacing Hoffmans) and SN1 in my supers as I use castellations (SN1 bit cheaper than SN 4). If you hurry might even get their seconds in the sale, which are perfectly ok.

Thornes catalogue used to have a good explanation of different frames. Do not know about their latest edition though. I use DN4 in my brood box (self spacing Hoffmans) and SN1 in my supers as I use castellations (SN1 bit cheaper than SN 4). If you hurry might even get their seconds in the sale, which are perfectly ok.

What do you mean when you say seconds ? That site is also confusing for the newbie like myself. It says pack of 10 on 1 item yet the other it just says -10.

Last edited:

Im on their site now, was looking at smokers for 35 quid but then went on the auction site and can get a whole starter kit for 39quid. On the phone at the moment so trying to see if i can get all the frames/foundation cheaper on the auction site also but its time consuming trying to go through them all on the phone. I am looking 30 brood frames(maybe need more), 100 super frames/wax, i large bee suite, 3 kids and a bee starter kit.

What do you mean when you say seconds ? That site is also confusing for the newbie like myself. It says pack of 10 on 1 item yet the other it just says -10.

Go to Thorne's website front page.
Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.
Among the text links you will find "download a catalogue".
Download it. :)

The catalogue has more background info than the web site.
There is a great double page spread with frame dimension details.

Common national frame types are DN4 and SN1. (Not recommended, just very popular - so chosen as examples of the 'code'.)

D is for Deep (standard National brood) takes National Deep foundation
S is for Shallow (standard National super) takes National Shallow foundation

N is for National ... !

Now the type numbers
1 - plain frame (needs some form of spacer), thin (standard) topbar
2 - just like 1 but with a thicker topbar
3 ... uh?
4 - hoffman spaced frame, thin (standard) topbar
5 - just like 4 but with the thicker topbar

So, if you put SN1's in your super then you'll also be needing castellations or those nasty push-on topbar spacers.

I use 14x12 which is a National, but with an extra-deep brood box.
14x12 brood frames are just like DN5's but with longer sidebars. Note that they have the thicker stronger topbar.
In supers I use either SN5's (hoffman + thick topbar) or Manleys (special sidebars & thick topbars).
// ADDED - The Manleys are 10 to a box. I start the SN5's at hoffman spacing, getting 12 into the box. Once drawn, they go onto castellations at a wider spacing, 10 to the box.
Note that all my frames use the same topbar.
The different types are just arrived at by shuffling a surprisingly small number of different parts!
A different pair of sidebars is the only difference between SN1 and DN4 ...
... and sidebars can be bought individually.

Sale "seconds" (sold only in 50's, and being sale-only not in the catalogue) will have the odd knot and blemish. At 50 for the price of about 20 first quality, its a deal many beeks find attractive (even if you scrap one or two from 50). Note that you will need 11 frames for the brood box, and they are sold in 10's or 50's, not 11's ... (so reconsider my comment above about the only difference between SN1 and DN4.)

Its very simple indeed once you get your head around the shorthand. :)

Last edited:
Yes DN5`S for every thing this season, i might use some suppers for the Heather, if so i will use Manleys in them same top bar anyway, i bet you are thoroughly confused now Irish guy :hairpull:

You won't get second quality frames from big T's at the moment (unless you plan to go to one of the shows in March or April and pick them up)
A pack of 50 second quality frames cost around £25.00. Second quality just means their quality control isn't quite as tight - the odd knot or dead knot, some in crucial areas meaning a broken bottom bar, wedge or if you are very unlucky top bar. To put it into perspective I have just completed making up 160 second quality frames and had three bottom bars not fit for purpose (and one because some clumsy galoot leant too hard at its weakest spot while fixing it!:redface:). But CW Jones usually sell 50 packs of second quality frames for a little more (about £30.00) their prices for wax foundation are very good as well.
I know the predilection now for DN5 frames but mine seem happy enough on the standard ones, so unless you are going to pay full price for 1st quality frames don't let it worry you too much!

Last edited:
Actually, y'know, he could! The sale continues, and all the usual National frames seem to be still on offer!

Oh dam - just realised, it's not quite the end of January yet!!!!!! you're right. Getting the wax and all from the same place then probably would be economical as no postage costs

Yes DN5`S for every thing this season, i might use some suppers for the Heather, if so i will use Manleys in them same top bar anyway, i bet you are thoroughly confused now Irish guy :hairpull:

Yep, very confused still lol. All I want to know am I good to go for ordering sn1 and dn1 frames

Sn1 for supers ok but then you will need some form of spacer,either castellations or metal ends. For brood box it is better to have self spacing DN 4 or 5 . The wider top bars are supposed to reduce brace comb between the bars but it is rarely a problem for me.

Did you download the catalogue, as advised?
Do you understand about hoffmans, castellations and metal (or plastic) end-spacers?

If not, you have some necessary homework to dispel the confusion!

It should be stated that using anything other than hoffmans (on rails) in the brood box is distinctly unconventional these days.

Latest posts

Back