Open message to Admin.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
666bees;180534 said:
People asking basic questions may annoy some people but that does not give anyone the right to attack them. I dont know anyone on here who would ever give wrong information on purpose. This I believe is a beekeeping forum and as such would expect people to be civil.

"Huntsman you have it wong by saying "You have a nasty way about you RAB" he's just an arguementative prat."

Hardy Har Har

huntsman666;180513 said:
The poster was asking about feeding syrup in winter. Perhaps for you I should have said; "Don't feed them 'syrup' in winter." When I mentioned that they cannot reduce the water content, I would have thought this very obvious. ...

This is simply not true.

Look again at the relevant posts in that thread
Graham Coulson;180482 said:
I guess I’m coming to the end of my autumn sugar syrup feeding, as 12kgs have been readily taken up so far and also judging by the weight of my hive when hefted (although I must admit to not having much experience of hefting hives!). :blush5:

I suppose now is the time to start thinking about which feeder to install on my hive, in case I should want to feed mid-winter.

I have been using a Miller-type feeder for the sugar syrup, but I also have a different feeder up my sleeve that holds fondant.

I gather that each form of mid-winter feeding has its disadvantage – for sugar syrup, I believe it is that the bees need to invert the sugar; and for fondant, they need water which will be frozen and unavailable to them.

What should I feed the bees mid-winter, please – sugar syrup or fondant?

Many thanks for your views. :)

huntsman666;180492 said:
Don't feed them at all during the winter. They cannot reduce the water content.

Mid-late Feb usual time in my neck of the woods for some fondant.

As you're in France temperatures will be different so when you first see your bees taking spring cleansing flights, give fondant.

oliver90owner;180496 said:
Don't feed them at all during the winter.

I like it. Says it all. Just let them starve, rather than feed if necessary. Superb advice for the beginner asking the question, and any other new beeks wondering what the issue is with moisture in fondant at around 11% (cf honey @18%). I think not.

Graham Coulson,

With a Dadant you should have enough stores in just the brood box for the duration of the winter. However, unless checked, one cannot tell whether the feed you are giving them now is being stored or turned into brood. Some strains of bee can do that late into the autumn.

Fondant is the normal feed during the winter months, should they need it. The bees will not take down sugar syrup, nor use it during the winter.

Fondant does not require any water to metabolise it. In fact the bees will be producing water from it, as a product of respiration.

So, the answer to your question is: feed fondant. You do not need any fancy feeder - just laying a container covered in cling film (or a wrapped block of fondant) over the feed hole, with a couple of slashes in the cover material (to make the feed avaailable to the bees) is all you would need. Some feed fondant directly onto the frame topbars. But nothing particularly fancy is required. If over the cover board it may be a good idea to in-fill the unused space with some form of insulation should you be using it otherwise.

Regards, RAB

huntsman666;180500 said:
RAB, do you kick your cat?

While it would be fair to say that RAB 'does not suffer fools gladly', the complainer here is complaining about the reaction to his bad advice.
Which he followed up with a personal comment.
And then has tried to twist the facts.

Huntsman, I have to tell you that you (and spam4u) are likely to be the first names in my 'Ignore' list.

I think Huntsman owes the forum (and RAB) a full apology.

itma;180537 said:
This is simply not true.

Look again at the relevant posts in that thread

While it would be fair to say that RAB 'does not suffer fools gladly', the complainer here is complaining about the reaction to his bad advice.
Which he followed up with a personal comment.
And then has tried to twist the facts.

Huntsman, I have to tell you that you (and spam4u) are likely to be the first names in my 'Ignore' list.

I think Huntsman owes the forum (and RAB) a full apology.

Since when do you put fondant in a feeder? Read it again.

Forgive me for almost calling someone a liar.

The poster was asking about feeding syrup in winter.

That is not correct. That is relly stretching it when the actual question posed by the OP was

"What should I feed the bees mid-winter, please – sugar syrup or fondant?

Don't feed in winter is clearly not the correct advice. Regarding the rest of it - not necessarily clear to a beginner at all. Not when they are told don't feed in winter.

I will not reply further. This moaner is just not worth it.

The poster was asking about feeding syrup in winter.

Of course he was when he asked what type of feeder to use.

Read it again before you knee-jerk.

Hivemaker.;180541 said:

:iagree:
I do too.
Love this forum but hate the sniping. If anyone sharpens their teeth on me I can always block them - seems obvious! Maybe they'll get a second chance, maybe not. But on the whole I read this for knowledge and enjoyment and I'd much sooner not be reading it just to see who bites who next.

My advice regarding feeding fondant is put it on if in doubt that the bees have sufficient stores.

It is all very well saying the bees should this and that but at this time, if life has intervened as it did to me last year and now it seems this, not everything one wants to have achieved for the bees can be.

In that event what can you do. I will feed fondant after hefting hives. I dinna care if it goes on this week, next month or never provided I have done my level best for my charges.

I fully agree with the good Dr, net bullying is a nasty underhand viscious issue and not to be tolerated. I believe that a great deal of it goes on though in PM situations.

I can't myself think of anyone on here who has been obviously bulled but then I dinna read every post.

I can be abrasive in replies too, but at times I do it for the shock element in helping the "victim" to remember the information. We are all here to learn and support each other. Possibly even have some fun?

I too think an apology is needed here.

Thoughtfully,

PH

porterswoods;180547 said:
Hivemaker, do you know if anyone sells these fondant feeders? Whenever i feed fondant i always end up with a mess to clean up.

Well some just use little tupperware containers,some use ashforth/miller feeders,M Roberts uses these,fill with fondant,cover with polythene with a couple of holes in, and invert over the brood box,lots of suppliers sell these.
Or you could just make yourself a fondant cassette type feeder,similar to candy board.

newportbuzz;180510 said:
Ahh grow up the lot of you. This has nothing to do with bees.
RAB is about as course as sandpaper but you get people like that everywhere! Theres not much point moaning about it. Take his info if its good and throw away the rest.
life is WAY to short to be upset by a online entity

:iagree: well said

But I would also say RAB is very precise in his replies and leaves nothing to be misinterpreted even if I don't agree with what or how he replies to some posts but I do enjoy reading his posts and the forum needs all sorts of people to make it interesting otherwise no one would be on here

porterswoods;180550 said:
huntsman read the red writing in post 22.

I did and I dealt with no feeding (syrup) in winter and explained why, and giving fondant in mid-late Feb or when first cleansing flights are seem.

Such advice is sound and doesn't deserve an attack.

Anyone who wants to suggest otherwise should have done so in a civil manner.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5XgkVYLzzQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5XgkVYLzzQ[/ame]

I have read this thread with interest and it’s quite interesting how opinions are divided. I must admit I don't post too often on here for 2 reasons.

1. I am a beginner and don't feel I am in a position to give advice.
2. I dont like posting questions because of the very un-friendly replies some people get.

I hang out in several Hobby (none Bee Keeping) related forums and I have to say this is the least welcoming for beginners.

Latest posts

Back