Omlet courses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really sure if this is really relevant but our allotment association took delivery of 3 Omlet 'Eglu Cubes' yesterday (chicken houses) which we ordered as they were the only chicken houses we could find with a fox proof run.
I was talking to the bloke while he put them up and one of my concerns was the longevity of the plastic housing, as most plastic exposed to the elements has a fairly short life expectancy. (think cracked, brittle wendy houses)
The bloke said it was all to do with the amount of anti uv stuff they add to the plastic, but he said the life expectancy of the plastic units was originally 10 years! That doesn't seem too long to me as opposed to good quality wood which should last a good deal longer.
He did go on to say that the original Eglus were still going strong despite having now reached 10 years, but I would not buy a 2nd hand unit now knowing this, and to be honest I would not buy a new one either! (though the low maintenance side of things is a definate attraction....)
I'd stick to a Dartington if you decide you like that hive type. :)

..to find an answer to your question, why not book yourself on an Omlet course?
Most of them have a mixture of hives, that way you can have a look-see, ask questions etc. and make up your own mind......

I cannot imagine that using rubber gloves prevents bee squashing - unfortunately we all do it what ever gloevs we use. I rest my case.

I can assure you, from personal experience, that rubber gloves, or disposable glvoes definately do prevent squashing of bees. It is an order of magnitude easier to feel that you have a bee trapped than with leather gloves. I used leather gloves for about three years before switching over (and latterly to no gloves on occasions) and I have to say you feel bees under your fingers, you can assess their jumpiness quicker, and it encourages you to be more fluid in movements and as a result the colonies are calmer. Additionally, without any sting residue in the gloves, they never re-sting at the site of a previous sting, which I found with leather gloves, and as we all know once you get one sting, then you tend to get more.

You may rest your case but I disagree with it altogether. :chillpill:

Adam

Latest posts

Back