Omg wasps!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
My fella has just discovered a wasps nest in my compost bin!!!!! So, I clearly can't live here any more. I'm worried about the kids, as my garden is tiny. They haven't posed a problem yet, I've only seen 1 this year but I imagine they will become problem wasps soon and come looking for goodies. Do the council remove them, considering there are young children around?

I find the foaming spray useless. I always use the wasp nest powder. Works quickly and efficiently. There are other things you can do. Hosepipe, pressure sprayer, fire etc etc!
E

Would I need to do this at night when they are all in the nest? I don't want homeless wasps all over the place. I'm kicking myself because I am sure I had a queen wasp in my hallway at the start of the year, and I ran away to get my bloke to get rid of it, but it had gone. I should have squished it, but I am really scared of them.

Just a squirt in the entrance of the powder at any time of the day does the trick. They take it in as they land on it which helps to kill the queen off
E

A job for him indoors I think lol. I imagine they'll been stuck to the lid of the bin. I was thinking of just squirting as much stuff in the air holes - it's a plastic bin. I don't want him using one of my suits to do it if we can help it as you can't wash the hoods, they are the brim veils. I'll ring the Housing Association tomorrow, if they won't remove it, then we'll get a hundred sprays. That will do it I reckon ;)

kazmcc,
if you spray the wasps late at night you will get a 100 percent kill and no threat to the bees,
when we re roofed our house I got stung 35 times by the nasty little beggars, all though they do a good job on eating the insects which eat our flowers.

I find the foaming spray useless. E

I always use the foaming spray - never fails. wait until the last thing in the evening when all flying has stopped - good eight second burst directly into the entrance and job done - I also spray the foam all over the nest just to make sure.
If you can't find the entrance hole just slather the whole thing in foam, although sometimes you may need to give another blast the day after.

Latest posts

Back