Not for the faint hearted....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear reader

This blog entry comes with a READERS WARNING that it might turn your stomach ever so slightly. It discusses items of a health nature. If you wish, turn back now.

So it seems I'm fast becoming a liability. Two years ago it was a broken hand that put paid to 8 weeks of beekeeping. This season....another hospitalisation...

Don't worry, I haven't become hyper-sensitive, that of every beekeepers' nightmare. No. The problem was much, much smaller.

After a day bottling and extracting honey two weeks last Thursday, mid afternoon I was just doing some accounts and invoices, when a sharp stabbing pain in my left hand side almost threw me off my chair. In fact it wasn't long before I was on the floor, doubled up in agony on a pain scale of 10/10.

The dreaded kidney stones had reappeared after an absence of some 16 years.

I called 999 after being violently sick and becoming feverish almost immediately. Yes, we'll call you back. They did. Yes, it sounds like you need to be hospitalised. Sadly we have no ambulances available.

Queue a frantic call to my folks who live an hour away. They downed tools and rushed over to find me still on the floor. 40 minutes in the car later i was in the A&E queue in Bath. After about 30 minutes I was triaged. By this time the paid had dropped to about a 7 and I could actually speak. Later that evening, dosed up on morphine, a volterol suppositary and a paracetamol drip I was put on the rotary ward for observation over night.

The next day a round of CT scans and x-ray confirmed a 0.5cm stone was trying to move through a 0.4cm Ureter pipe. They dosed me up and sent me home saying to come back if I had a recurrence.

2am Saturday morning - even worse 10.5/10 fever, sweats, vomiting, ambulance to A&E and two nights in where they discovered my kidney function was failing so they put me into emergency surgery to insert a 12" stent between the LH kidney and bladder.

A week later I was back having the stent and two stones removed and then they re-inserted another stent to allow the pipes to settle down and repair from all the tooings and froings by the cytoscope and stone grabber.

I'm back next week to have the stent removed a second time...this time by pulling on a cord that is currently hanging down out of the old fella. Apparently I have to breath in and out very hard as they 'pull'. You can't imagine how much the thought of that turns my stomach. If you hear a scream at 10am on the 5th. It's me.

The upshot of all this is most likely dehydration. I know I often overheat when opening hives. We've all done it on hot days. But this also allows those who are susceptible to stones to accumulate calcium in the kidney over time.

I'm now downing biblical volumes of water through the day to keep flushing the system. Tea is fine, not so much coffee or beer. In fact with the main killers I've been on beer or any alcohol isn't really on the cards and I haven't wanted a drink.

So the past two weeks has been spent largely horizontal or gingerly walking around. The stent rubs and I've managed about a day a week beekeeping, before the pain kicks in and I simply have to give up exhausted.

Last weekend over 120 supers were hastily put onto hives, just in case, but the weather this week hasn't been that good. Hopefully the rain will keep the clover and bramble yielding next when it warms up towards the 10th July.

It shows how much one gets waylaid by injury and illnesses. And how one is quite helpless to do much while the body recovers.

Hey ho. I hope by Wednesday all this is behind me !

KR

Somerford

Sounds like you've had a tough time, but better should be coming. I anaesthetise for urology procedures frequently so the above is very familiar. The stent removal isn't supposed to be that bad & those new stents with the retrieval string avoid another anaesthetic.
Hope it all goes well, keep drinking plenty!
I always think getting "waylaid" only sounds half-bad - few people like getting weighed, but.....

Dear reader

This blog entry comes with a READERS WARNING that it might turn your stomach ever so slightly. It discusses items of a health nature. If you wish, turn back now.

So it seems I'm fast becoming a liability. Two years ago it was a broken hand that put paid to 8 weeks of beekeeping. This season....another hospitalisation...

Don't worry, I haven't become hyper-sensitive, that of every beekeepers' nightmare. No. The problem was much, much smaller.

After a day bottling and extracting honey two weeks last Thursday, mid afternoon I was just doing some accounts and invoices, when a sharp stabbing pain in my left hand side almost threw me off my chair. In fact it wasn't long before I was on the floor, doubled up in agony on a pain scale of 10/10.

The dreaded kidney stones had reappeared after an absence of some 16 years.

I called 999 after being violently sick and becoming feverish almost immediately. Yes, we'll call you back. They did. Yes, it sounds like you need to be hospitalised. Sadly we have no ambulances available.

Queue a frantic call to my folks who live an hour away. They downed tools and rushed over to find me still on the floor. 40 minutes in the car later i was in the A&E queue in Bath. After about 30 minutes I was triaged. By this time the paid had dropped to about a 7 and I could actually speak. Later that evening, dosed up on morphine, a volterol suppositary and a paracetamol drip I was put on the rotary ward for observation over night.

The next day a round of CT scans and x-ray confirmed a 0.5cm stone was trying to move through a 0.4cm Ureter pipe. They dosed me up and sent me home saying to come back if I had a recurrence.

2am Saturday morning - even worse 10.5/10 fever, sweats, vomiting, ambulance to A&E and two nights in where they discovered my kidney function was failing so they put me into emergency surgery to insert a 12" stent between the LH kidney and bladder.

A week later I was back having the stent and two stones removed and then they re-inserted another stent to allow the pipes to settle down and repair from all the tooings and froings by the cytoscope and stone grabber.

I'm back next week to have the stent removed a second time...this time by pulling on a cord that is currently hanging down out of the old fella. Apparently I have to breath in and out very hard as they 'pull'. You can't imagine how much the thought of that turns my stomach. If you hear a scream at 10am on the 5th. It's me.

The upshot of all this is most likely dehydration. I know I often overheat when opening hives. We've all done it on hot days. But this also allows those who are susceptible to stones to accumulate calcium in the kidney over time.

I'm now downing biblical volumes of water through the day to keep flushing the system. Tea is fine, not so much coffee or beer. In fact with the main killers I've been on beer or any alcohol isn't really on the cards and I haven't wanted a drink.

So the past two weeks has been spent largely horizontal or gingerly walking around. The stent rubs and I've managed about a day a week beekeeping, before the pain kicks in and I simply have to give up exhausted.

Last weekend over 120 supers were hastily put onto hives, just in case, but the weather this week hasn't been that good. Hopefully the rain will keep the clover and bramble yielding next when it warms up towards the 10th July.

It shows how much one gets waylaid by injury and illnesses. And how one is quite helpless to do much while the body recovers.

Hey ho. I hope by Wednesday all this is behind me !

KR

Somerford
All the best. I teach about the ureterorenal reflex so whilst I haven't experienced your pain, I can sympathise with the excruciating agony. Here's to it never happening again. As for hydration, have you considered a Camelback or similar worn under the suit?

All the best. I teach about the ureterorenal reflex so whilst I haven't experienced your pain, I can sympathise with the excruciating agony. Here's to it never happening again. As for hydration, have you considered a Camelback or similar worn under the suit?

Yes I had thought about that. Thanks for reminding me !

The renal cramps are quite the most agonising thing I’ve ever had. Obviously broken bones and limb loss / tooth ache are bad but the renal cramps just keep on coming and coming and if the stone is bigger than the ureter you’re in for a hell of a ride

Interesting that the diclofenac suppository is the best at nulling the pain along with a paracetamol drip . And a few doses of morphine..and oromorph too.

The ongoing occasional codeine and paracetamol have resulted in constipation and a return of haemorrhoids after a long period of time of absence. Lactulose helps as do two home made smoothies a day and some fibre husk tablets. Doesn’t help I’m also on Ferrus Sulphate for anaemia too !

I just read John’s thread on prostrate surgery. Very helpful. Luckily they checked that out when they inserted the first stent and said it was in good order.

One of the standard old-fashioned assessments of pain severity in women used to be "is it worse than labour" - ureteric colic (what you've had) Definitely Is! May get you some sympathy in certain quarters.

One of the standard old-fashioned assessments of pain severity in women used to be "is it worse than labour" - ureteric colic (what you've had) Definitely Is! May get you some sympathy in certain quarters.

You're suggesting that men don't suffer from the pain of labour? :D

James

Re anaemia, if you have a glass of orange juice or a vit C tablet when you take the ferrous sulphate it should double your iron uptake by making it more bioavailable.

IV paracetamol is amazing stuff. I remember the first time I used it in an animal and the level of pain relief was incredible. I would argue more effective than the opiates the dog was on.

Ureters are full of nerve endings which start screaming when there's a blockage... Reduces blood flow to kidneys to slow the rate of fluid build up.

OMG...my history almost mirrors yours, but thankfully no stent required. Have only had one further episode since initial stone was removed (echoes of Cpl Jones shouting "they don't like it up 'em" spring too mind...thank god for general anaesthetic!). Yes, keep hydrated, I'm terrible for that, but mainly due to work preventing me from hydrating in the first place !! Was definitely the worst pain ever; mind a fractured scapula comes a close second ;)

I'm glad to say my urinary problems were mostly accompanied by only low level pain but I do have a friend who keeps a stone he passed as a talking point. It's a jagged lump rather than a smooth, rounded thing which is perhaps anticipated by the simple description "stone". He found the process agonizing too. He changed his diet considerably and his stone creation seems to have abated although I've not seen him for a while now (since COVID started)

I am aghast
You got sent home in pain with a 50% chance of the stone passing?
I was a birthing partner for a friend who refused any analgesia.....Never again. I had an epidural!

Owwch! That was a painful read. Hope the recovery goes well and thanks for the reminder to keep hydrated. 2 water bottles going to the apiaries with me today 👍

My stone never made it out of my kidney, and the proposed lithotripsy could not be carried out as triangulation by X-ray was unsuccessful, as the stone was obscured by my pelvic bone in one orientation.
I'm quite glad the remaining option was general anaesthetic and then inserting a laser 'in through the front door' to ablate the stone to dust. I had a stent between the kidney and bladder and weeing blood for a couple of weeks! Very uncomfortable.
Kidney stones are best avoided and so, as you advise on the hydration front, iwhen anyone ever offers me a drink now, I always say yes.

thanks for the reminder to keep hydrated. 2 water bottles going to the apiaries with me today
Something that was hammered into me years ago was the need to keep hydrated.
In the heatwave of 2017 I had to have most of my apiaries inspected due to being in a foulbrood contiguous zone, the SBI (now RBI) chuckled at my insistence on us both 'watering up' regularly from flasks in the truck.
Had a call a few days later, she'd gone on to inspect a neighbouring bee farmer's apiaires the following day and had disregarded the watering up breaks, which resulted in her passing out mid inspection.
Been lucky to avoid kidney stones (touch wood) probably part due to, having had kidney issues as a child my mother always hammered home the 'watering up' rule, but a few of my friends have experienced it and all have said that it's a pain beyond all others.

I am aghast
You got sent home in pain with a 50% chance of the stone passing?
I was a birthing partner for a friend who refused any analgesia.....Never again. I had an epidural!
Can you think of a vet example where this would be considered acceptable?

You've had it rough.
I managed to stomach the whole story without fainting but the "volterol suppositary" was too much, Sounds like a Hogwarts treatment.
A word of warning. I'm told that when they pull out the chord from "the old fella" they tell you "on a count of three" but whip it out on "2". Just be aware.....
Good luck with the recovery.

Oh you certainly have my sympathy. Last year I spent two weeks in hospital due to biliary sepsis caused by gaulstones stuck in my bile duct after a similar story of hospital admission.
Good luck with the recovery and I'll be winching on the 5th with you!

Latest posts

Back