HELP! new roof leaking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xewecan

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi i'm new to this site. I've just had architectural shingles put on my Aframe 3 weeks ago. From the beginning I though it looked sloppy and was not happy with a lot of details but let it alone thinking i'm just to picky. I had the old roof removed and new plywood and shingles put on for 10,000. 3 weeks later a have a puddle of water on my kitchen floor. One of the valley's is leaking. They did a California cut valley with no flashing just some kind of thick black rubber feeling stuff down the length. I called the contracter he sent 2 guys 2 put solar seal caulking under the shingles and a thick glob of it the whole way down the valley shingle line which looks awful. Its black caulking with leaves and pine needles stuck in it on my new brown roof, to me this doesn't seam like a solution that will last to long. Should a new roof need caulking? and there is also a lot of shingles that r not laying down they r actually buckling up a little. He said he would put tar under them but he did not. Just trying to get a little input on if I need something redone. I'm fearing that the caulking will only hold up long enough 4 me to not b able to get somekind of money back or the work done right. Sorry so long please help.

Hi i'm new to this site. I've just had architectural shingles put on my Aframe 3 weeks ago. From the beginning I though it looked sloppy and was not happy with a lot of details but let it alone thinking i'm just to picky. I had the old roof removed and new plywood and shingles put on for 10,000. 3 weeks later a have a puddle of water on my kitchen floor. One of the valley's is leaking. They did a California cut valley with no flashing just some kind of thick black rubber feeling stuff down the length. I called the contracter he sent 2 guys 2 put solar seal caulking under the shingles and a thick glob of it the whole way down the valley shingle line which looks awful. Its black caulking with leaves and pine needles stuck in it on my new brown roof, to me this doesn't seam like a solution that will last to long. Should a new roof need caulking? and there is also a lot of shingles that r not laying down they r actually buckling up a little. He said he would put tar under them but he did not. Just trying to get a little input on if I need something redone. I'm fearing that the caulking will only hold up long enough 4 me to not b able to get somekind of money back or the work done right. Sorry so long please help.
Think you have the wrong forum

Wooden roofing shingles (if that is what you are using) are very uncommon in the UK, to this forum is unlikely to be of much help to you.
Does sound like a shoddy job though!

It's not a beehive roof I take it? However the valley you describe should have had a lead sheet liner across the bottom and extending up the sides underneath/overlapped by the shingles by a decent amount. I'd expect around 6 to 9 inches so wind couldn't drive water up over the lip.

Latest posts

Back