Dealing with a wasps nest - not really bee related

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnkemp

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So about 10 miles from my apiary I have discovered a nest of wasps. not worried about my bees as a result of the distance, but I am concerned for my family since it's in my garden compost heap and they're getting quite defensive to anyone who gets within 5 metres.

So the plan tomorrow is to whack on the old bee suit at lunchtime and hope it holds up to some pissed off wasps.

Don't want to go all chemical warfare on them as it would taint all the compost, so current plan is dig down, find it, submerge it in a bucket of water to get all the grubs and hopefully the queen, then back the hell off while the workers try to get to me. Really happy for any better ideas.

Any tips?

TIA

Just put your kit on and apply the powder far less hassle. You’ll end up with loads flying about and grumpy for some time. Make sure your suit is up to it as they crawl and stick to you like no bee can. Use the powder bin a little compost later, job done

too late for your plan now (not that it was much of a plan anyway) - looks like the wasps are on to the final stage of the colony development by what's happening around the country - queens are out and mated and it's just redundant worker wasps looking for a sugar hit. Destroying the nest will probably make things worse not better with wasps milling around for weeks wondering where their home had gone.
Also, midday is the wrong time to tackle them anyway as they'll all be out and about.

Could wait until evening when they are all in, smother the entrance and build a sizeable fire on top. The heat should penetrate and kill them, you'll lose a bit of compost but probably not much if it's damp.

Done some more reading in the last couple of hours and have revised the idea. Will deal with it tonight, soaking the compost heap, fire not an option as it’s up against the fence, and apparently properly damp compost is no good for wasps so keep it damp and they bugger off in a week or so.

Your other option for an evening foray, if there is space around the wasps nest, is to use a black bin bag place the nest inside the bag, twist the top and, either place in a freezer for a few days or stamp on them, while they are inside the bag.

Done some more reading in the last couple of hours and have revised the idea. Will deal with it tonight, soaking the compost heap, fire not an option as it’s up against the fence, and apparently properly damp compost is no good for wasps so keep it damp and they bugger off in a week or so.
Some detergent eg washing up liquid, will help.

What is it with all you wasp killers ? ...Leave them be, they will all be gone in a matter of weeks anyway. They are a useful addition to the garden and unless they are attacking your bees they are not really a lot o bother ...

What is it with all you wasp killers ? ...Leave them be, they will all be gone in a matter of weeks anyway. They are a useful addition to the garden and unless they are attacking your bees they are not really a lot o bother ...
"quite defensive to anyone who gets within 5 metres." Is the issue.
Wasps are important pollinators, so if not causing a nuisance I'd let them be, if a nuisance I'd destroy them.

Years ago I went to a few wasp attacks of the public who had ballooning faces and a look of total dejection.

You've obviously never had a barbacue 😂

You've obviously never had a barbacue 😂
Very many .... Hang a Waspbane about 25-30 feet from where you are going to be eating and the problem is solved ... they much prefer the attractant in there to anything I've ever cooked ! Having said that we were eating in the garden yesterday and not a single wasp came near ... not been a bad year for them this year.

Very many .... Hang a Waspbane about 25-30 feet from where you are going to be eating and the problem is solved ... they much prefer the attractant in there to anything I've ever cooked ! Having said that we were eating in the garden yesterday and not a single wasp came near ... not been a bad year for them this year.

Are they actually worth the dosh ? I drilled holes in 2l bottle,added a can of lager mixed with sugar and caught hundreds of them !

Are they actually worth the dosh ? I drilled holes in 2l bottle,added a can of lager mixed with sugar and caught hundreds of them !
you can get high efficiency wasp traps on Amazon for a couple of quid each, and if you know of a friendly pestie, most pest control suppliers stock gallon cans of wasp attractant for a reasonable price.

Don't want to go all chemical warfare on them as it would taint all the compost, so current plan is dig down, find it, submerge it in a bucket of water to get all the grubs and hopefully the queen, then back the hell off while the workers try to get to me. Really happy for any better ideas.

Any tips?

Perhaps you've already taken action.
One year we had two wasp nests in the. ground, not far from our beehives.
After dark I poured a large saucepan of boiling water down each.
Seemed to do the job.

Latest posts

Back