Observation frame question.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
I have a observation box that holds one frame,I am planning to take it to a show tomorrow for a few hours,if I set the frame with the queen on it in it will I be able to set that frame back into the hive it came out of a few hours later?
The frame will be coming out of a nuc and will be out from about 10 in the morning till maybe 4 in the evening at the most.
Darren

I have a observation box that holds one frame,I am planning to take it to a show tomorrow for a few hours,if I set the frame with the queen on it in it will I be able to set that frame back into the hive it came out of a few hours later?
The frame will be coming out of a nuc and will be out from about 10 in the morning till maybe 4 in the evening at the most.
Darren
there should be just a queen excluder between the lower and upper box, then yes, as the queens pheromones will have remained in the main colony and they won't have started making queen cells.

No I will be lifting the frame with the queen on it out and setting it in this thing and taking it away,the parent hive won't be moved at all.Will this work?
Darren

there should be just a queen excluder between the lower and upper box, then yes, as the queens pheromones will have remained in the main colony and they won't have started making queen cells.

Don't think a QE is really essential as any eggs laid in the upper frame will probably go back into a super after the show, then will emerge and the rest is as normal?

Don't think a QE is really essential as any eggs laid in the upper frame will probably go back into a super after the show, then will emerge and the rest is as normal?

sorry afermo, I was thinking that the obs hive was a nuc with a upper section, where the queen on a frame is lifted above the rest of the frames for demo purposes, hence the queen excluder.

was on a stand for local assoc at weekend with obs hive, QX was to stop Q going down and hiding in frames below so people could see her, they all wanted to see HM in residence

Don't they just.

My best one was... from a little lad...

"Here mister that's wasps!"

PH

Darren

Are you concerned about the bees balling the queen? Break about 4/5 pieces of beer mat and put a drop of lemongrass oil on each, drop these down between the frames in the hive about 10mins before returning the frame. Enjoy the show.

looks the bees knees

looks good Darren how did it go did the visitor's like what they saw.
is that part of an observation hive or is it just a stand alone
Alan

If I take that sort of unit near kids I span set it to the table... kids can get VERY excited and then begin to shove... disaster looms.

I also have perspex over the glass as an extra precaution.

PH

its just a stand alone Alan and there is a place on it where you can fit a pipe for putting out the window or where ever to let them come in and out of,
there is two sheets of glass on each side polyhive and i was watching it like a hawk when ever there was any kids around it, i might take out the two outter pieces of glass and replace them with perpsex if i ever have to use it again.
the case originally belonged to another member of this forum who was very kind to give it to me.
this was the first ever stand i had done and was very pleased with how it went,the piece of brace comb in the background was very popular because it had eggs larva and sealed brood on it,i took it from a hive last week and placed it in the freezer till the day of the show.
Darren

I thought it looked great... the kids were really interested in it. Well done. How is she after her day on display? Have you had the time to check on her yet?

Latest posts

Back