Nuc box Plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say several things here................

3) Cooking oil? Rape seed cooking oil.......... NO
Cooking oil is dreadful stuff and goes sticky after a while. Use something for wood.

Frisbee (ageing female brought up with no woodwork skills)

Ha-Ha :) Frisbee, don't knock it if you've never tried it.

Linseed oil is commonly used to weatherproof wood. There is very little difference between Flax (linseed) and rape seed when it comes to waterproofing qualities. But because it's sold for cooking and not expensive wood preservation rape is less than a quarter of the price. (10% often ! ).

Also you might not know you can put either of them straight into the fuel tank of your diesel vehicle and it runs fine. You should of course write to the Customs and Excise people and pay the fuel duty, although I think there might be low use exemptions.

JC.

Linseed oil is commonly used to weatherproof wood. There is very little difference between Flax (linseed) and rape seed when it comes to waterproofing qualities. But because it's sold for cooking and not expensive wood preservation rape is less than a quarter of the price. (10% often ! ).

I use cooking oil as a lubricant in my job. It would be true to say I haven't specifically used rape seed oil so will stand corrected, but I also think that on reading it people wouldn't differentiate particularly between rape oil and any other vegetable oil especially when they are in the supermarket looking at the shelves, and I don't think bog standard vegetable oil is up to the job. Vegetable oil is also corrosive in certain circumstances.

Also you might not know you can put either of them straight into the fuel tank of your diesel vehicle and it runs fine.

I do know that thank-you :)

You should of course write to the Customs and Excise people and pay the fuel duty, although I think there might be low use exemptions.

As I do in excess of 30,000 miles a year I don't partcularly fancy having my vehicle impounded while I try and explain about low usage. Because of the miles I do, using vegetable oil is not an option as I don't have easily accessible storage facilities. I have in the past explored the idea including having the conversion and a seperate tank, but didn't persue it.

Frisbee

Last edited:
Thanks Pete

Hi Pete, just wanted to say a big thanks for the dimensions and the video. 1st nuc box turned out okay, 2nd one spot on - my confidence with the jigsaw is increasing ;)

Hoping to get some 8x4 sheets in and start knocking up boxes for my association now :)

Also you might not know you can put either of them straight into the fuel tank of your diesel vehicle and it runs fine.

Not quite true. It depends on the fuel system. The modern electronically controlled common rail diesel engines use very high fuel pressures and a fine fuel vapourisation to achieve combustion and do not like straight vegetable oils. The older mechanical injection systems are much more tolerant of veg oil but in colder temperatures the oil needs to be heated before being injected. Some people add veg oil to supplement diesel, others dilute the veg with parafin to thin it down. Also there can also be issues with veg oil breaking down pump seals.

So in a nutshell if you want go down the veg oil route in your diesel, ask google if your car/van is suitable first.

Regards,
Torq

Thanks for the info Torq. It doesn't seem to bother the local private hire operators here in Brum. The traffic lights 'Grand-Prix' smells like a 'Halal Kebab shop' on saturday night. :)

I blew the fuel pump on a P reg golf with biodiesel! Cost me £100 to fix, but I still like to do my bit to save the planet - I grow more veg now and use stricly white diesel ;)

Latest posts

Back