Nuc box frame spacing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like poly nucs. In poly hives the queen will lay right up to the frame against the wall, which seems unusual in wood. This means a poly nuc has a much bigger effective capacity than a wood one.

I really like poly nucs. In poly hives the queen will lay right up to the frame against the wall, which seems unusual in wood. This means a poly nuc has a much bigger effective capacity than a wood one.
In warm-way wood, the bees tend to fill the first frame nearest the entrance with pollen instead of putting it across a range of frames. So that saves capacity on individual frames.
But I've always found they'll use that first frame for brood when they need it.

Really? That would make life easier. Would I need to remove the castellated strip or do they go over the top of it? Sorry if it's a daft question. i may be better off just buying a Nuc with frames instead.
I like the Paynes poly nucs .. they have a side feeder and I cut that out so that it becomes a 7 or 8 frame box... which I can dummy down with slabs of Celotex to whatever size I want and then let them grow into it. Brilliant for overwintering as well. Poly is not as cheap as it used to be but still worth considering.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125609724@N03/albums/72157659314817230

Latest posts

Back