Novel design - "Thrivehive"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks great but how do you clean the c**p out of the bottom? I still like the look of it though.

It looks great but how do you clean the c**p out of the bottom?

Get weaving and scorch it with a gas torch. Soon solve the problem.:)

Nice idea to combine a TBH with a skep, however I wouldn't want to be part way through an inspection if the wind picked up as that roof could slam down with some force.:eek:

Looks pretty, but I'd question it's design on four counts.

1. I think it should have an open floor for IPM. I didn't notice this in the photos.
2. I was under the impression that entrances sould be nearest the brood (ie in the centre) rather than at the end.
3. Having entrance at the end is not so good for insulation in the winter.
4. I would have thought the bees may propolise the flat roof to the bars. Hence lifting bars when opening. I'd rather have a roof with an air gap above the bars.

Bobster

It looks nice and environmentaly friendly, great feature in a patio of a green snob.
Specially the straw glueded to the roof for extra effect. However, does not seem practical for the beekeeper, hard work to put propolis in all over the little holes in the straw.

Great until the first time it rains, then it's soaked and the bees are cold and wet. There's a reason skeps were kept in bee boles. I think it's hippy rubbish-and I'm a bit of a hippy myself!

Nice idea but I agree!

"if the wind picked up as that roof could slam down with some force."
I agree - my own TBH (made by my partner) has a hinged roof which I need to prop up when inspecting.
Some very useful points in this discussion have made me think about modifying the hive... adding ventilation above the bars.
However, even though it's a bit home-made and wobbly, and possibly queenless - my bees seem happier than they ever were in the National hive.

Looks as useful as a chocolate teapot and would last as long in our wet, windy and cold winters..

Ideal for people with more money than sense.

Can't wait to see someone flame the inside of one.

Don't site them near livestock. It'll look like an edible manger.

Looks like it belongs in a woman's knitwear catalogue.
(ok, that was a bit unkind ...)

But the legs don't look very sensible to me - they are the thinnest where they're the most vulnerable. (simple physics/ lever principle)

Interesting to see your thoughts!
Tom Back is my nephew and I have the original thrive hive in my garden. I am as sceptical as many of you, but am hoping to put a swarm into it very soon to give it a try. I have already made one change, in that I have removed the straw from the roof and replaced with an oversized piece of plastic to make it a little more suitable for our weather!
The top bars are tight so in theory the bees cannot access the area between the top bars and the roof, so the roof should not get propolised as someone suggested (I say SHOULD NOT!!!!) but I totally agree about the lid possibly falling shut being a problem. The hive is currently situated in a very sheltered spot so I hope it will not get too wet or battered.
I look forward to being able to report really positive things about this hive!

Will be interesting to read your progress with the hive.

I've given up with my TBH this year mainly because since its became well established with 10+ combs it takes 5+ times longer than a hive with frames to inspect properly as a result I don't enjoy opening this hive up as there is no such thing as a quick inspection. The longer its open the worse the bees get, if I stick with it and inspect properly the colony gets really annoyed which means it takes even longer. Constantly having to detach the combs from the hive walls and make corrections to prevent cross combing. Towards the end of Summer last year I had two comb failures and found it almost impossible to keep up with a reasonable pest management program that actually worked.

All in all it was fun to run a TBH to start with and I learnt a lot but I wouldn't recommend it or take at all seriously anyone who claims they don't need to treat their bees to keep varroa in check year on year.

or take at all seriously anyone who claims they don't need to treat their bees to keep varroa in check year on year.

Is that for any type of hive or just TBH? IIRC I have seen users of conventional hives claim on the forum they need to do little or nothing to control Varroa.

Is that for any type of hive or just TBH?

Any and all hive types, although most of the time its the owners of TBH. Not sure if its me just being cynical but most of the claims are made by those trying to sell me some thing.

Some pics of my home-made top bar. Still early days for me to start boasting about it. I think it's good to be able to customize something to suit your own climate & conditions.

So, today I got a massive swarm and have put it into the thrive hive. Hopefully I will be able to put up some photos soon and lets see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back