Nuc measurements

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't have timber nucs full stop.

PH
Why not they serve a purpose whilst I like my BS poly nucs and I have a few the price of all poly has risen considerably. You can probably knock up 2-3 wooden nucs for the same money, so appreciating your further North than me if beeks ensure that the nucs are well stocked with bees and stores they will winter well.

Those trays are really uesful for lots of things ... Stewarts usually do a spring promotion at two for £13 ... watch out for them and buy them when you can.

Yes there good for stacking boxes with honey and they make good temporary roofs! My local garden centre normal has them at 2 for £14, if any see them cheaper let me know!

Because for my climate they are not suitable to take bees through Winter. I tried in my early days (Aberdeenshire) but after the first few years gave them up. What works in the South is often dodgy up here. We may be a little island but location location and location is critical.

PH

Why not they serve a purpose whilst I like my BS poly nucs and I have a few the price of all poly has risen considerably. You can probably knock up 2-3 wooden nucs for the same money, so appreciating your further North than me if beeks ensure that the nucs are well stocked with bees and stores they will winter well.

Yes there good for stacking boxes with honey and they make good temporary roofs! My local garden centre normal has them at 2 for £14, if any see them cheaper let me know!
Where is your local garden centre Ian as that sounds a good price.

Ive gone down a little easier route. Ive got a load of 3rds brood boxes from the sale days. Cut a little bit less than 1/2 and added 18mm offcut sides from local timber merchant. Going to make seperate floors so can use boxes as nucs or double nucs. Very cheap and quick way

Attachments

• 20230112_183942.jpg
    20230112_183942.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230112_183939.jpg
    20230112_183939.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230112_183927.jpg
    20230112_183927.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Here is a plan for a plywood national nuc.

Attachments

• How to Make a Five Frame Nucleus Bee-Craft.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back