No Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I you have very few varroa, perhaps it doesn't matter as you wouldn't treat anyway, but if you want/need to be 100% sure that you have no varroa you could do a version of the Beltsville test, without the step that checks for resistance. I am not recommending this as really you would just be killing bees to prove a point.

Hang on a minute ... was that something sensible on this thread or just a mirage from somewhere else ?

Hang on a minute ... was that something sensible on this thread or just a mirage from somewhere else ?

I was thinking that it was rather a "putting head in noose" reply.
Some varroa in hive but not treating?

WW3

As I have said, varroa has been in Finland almost 40 years.
No one here believe here that he can save hives without treatment.
If he think believe it, he is long a beekeeper. Hivekeeper perhaps.

And I have told too that mite has become more dangerous along years.
The side effects, like viruses are worse.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts[/ame]

No one here believe here that he can save hives without treatment.
Does that include those in the areas that are varroa free?

Does that include those in the areas that are varroa free?

Yes, your 3 hive chemical free zone. (not varroa free)

IMchemicalFREE.jpg

Last edited:
So keepers in Finland who live a varroa free area know that they cant keep their bees alive unless they treat for varroa?

Yes, your 3 hive chemical free zone. (not varroa free)
You dont know they are not varroa free. According to you they would die if they had varroa and they were not treated.

So keepers in Finland who live a varroa free area know that they cant keep their bees alive unless they treat for varroa?

You may spend your life that way. You are the brightes example of English poking*). Repeating makes a master. Again, again and again. WOW!

England is 10 years behind other land of Europe (that land 20 miles over Channel), but some, who really repeat they ideas, they will come after.

Take your time Dishmop. There is nothing hurry here. Carry on, carry on. Step by step. Nice, so it goes. Nice.
Viva Chemical Free Britain!!!

*) To ridicule in a mischievous manner; tease.

Last edited:
Problem with your ranting Finman is that Honey bees in France do survive with varroa and in many cases for a very,very long time.

The colony I removed from a roof the other week that had been there since last year is the progeny of another colony in the same roof that has been there 4 years, (left in place as no need for builder to go near it)

The colony I removed is one of the strongest most vigorous and dare I say it healthy that I could wish for - untreated of course as was the parent colony. Of course all my bees are kept without treatment, (but we know that don't we), and according to some members of this esteemed establishment they should all have died years ago.

Mind you we could perhaps consider that bees may not be able live in Finland without human assistance?

How many colonies did you say Finman?

Ahh that's right, your a tax dodger.

Chris

Most people will have given up reading this thread long ago, but I have been hanging in there!

I think the majority of UK beekeepers do what Finman does i.e. they have varroa and they use some form of IPM to deal with them. This is what we are taught when we take up beekeeping and what we are told by FERA:
https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm?pageid=93#

I don't think that what Finman is doing is somehow evil or mad or not what most people do.

Having said that, each to their own.

Nuns nipples! :icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back