Nichrome resistance wire for tip production.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plenty of honey

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
260 + (Nucs and Honey production)
Hi All, I am a little confused.
F:hairpull:ive found lots of different thicknesses of Nichrome heating wire for my new tip puller, but what size is the right one? 1mm, 1.5mm or thicker. All the tip pullers I've seen I reckon use about 1mm wire diameter?
Any pointers please?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2...52.2057407932.1577535112-749515624.1577535112
Possibly overkill but using this kit you could make a multivariable computer program controller for your nichrome heater wire for your tip puller that will control the voltage input and the current allowed to pass through the wire coil, and the time the current is switched on. The resistance of the 1mm coil will be less than the 2mm coil, however the number of coils also has to be taken into account.
This is not dissimilar to the heater coils fitted into model aircraft ether based fuel carburetors to prevent icing as the fuel expands through the Venturi chamber, and also the glass injector nozells used in some of the older carburetors, although most were silver steel.
The simple solution if you do not need such accuracy would be to experiment.
There are a lot of variables, the type of glass and specific diameter being one the drop length and weight being another.
Now we have high performance electric motors and new generation lightweight batteries, there seems to be fewer old school model aircraft with real gas engines in the skies!
But there is nothing like the buzz of an EdBee on full throttle!

Last edited:
Hi All, I am a little confused.
F:hairpull:ive found lots of different thicknesses of Nichrome heating wire for my new tip puller, but what size is the right one? 1mm, 1.5mm or thicker. All the tip pullers I've seen I reckon use about 1mm wire diameter?
Any pointers please?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

The heating coil is used to melt the capillary and draw it into an hourglass shape which is then cut to the length/diameter that is required. The internal diameter should be wide enough to permit the passage of sperm (~0.15mm) so you will need 0.15mm stainless steel wire to assure yourself that the bore is adequate.
I don't have a video of the Schley tip puller which I use but there is a video of a vertical axis puller on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx5nmA-Hu_s ). There are also horizontal axis devices available but these tend to use lasers and are quite expensive. This should be enough to illustrate the basic process although, it should be noted that, the element can be used to fire polish the cut capillary using the Schley device. You don't need to use an open flame.

Last edited:
Thank you B+ I have got hold of two sizes, i bought the 1mm size then a friend told me i should have arund the o.5 mm sided Nichrome wire. so will try the both when i assemble the tip puller. Getting there slowly!

Latest posts

Back