NHS 2019 videos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but that's just tripe. Whether imported or native any subspecies will breed true given sufficient saturation.

What has the "vast majority' got to do with breeding true ? Either they're pure breeding or they're not.
Saturation is roughly equivalent to vast majority.
Bit of a waste of time discussing this with you if you're posting contradictory nonsense and throwing in the odd Oberusel to try and show some substance to your empty words.

What has the "vast majority' got to do with breeding true ? Either they're pure breeding or they're not.
PMSL You really must pass this on to the bee research institute in Oberusel since you claim to have better info about their bees than they do
But what would that tell us anyway? That it wasn't possible to make Germany entirely free of honeybees before introducing Amc ? You'd have to wipe out honeybees entirely, wait a year or two to confirm it, then reintroduce the new race to ensure purity and even then they would have hybridized at Germany's borders.

I think what John Chambers was saying in his NHS lecture and MBC is agreeing with is, however and by whatever means you apply to remove any endemic species of honeybee ( as with the German experiment) eventually the bees most genetically adapted to the local environment will dominate.
In the case of Northern Europe this will be Apis melliffera mellifera or the European Dark honeybee for want of a better word!
Consider the fact that the European Dark honeybee has had 10 thousands of years to adapt, whereas the "1000 year Reich" only lasted for a few decades.

May even be the reason why in the New World and the Antipodes, areas that did not have an endemic species of honeybee, beekeepers are struggling with pests and diseases and colony collapse etc as bees have not had the chance to evolve?

New beekeepers may need to take a good look at their beekeeping practices and like me ignore the "sage" advice given by the Master Beekeepers?

In the case of Northern Europe this will be Apis melliffera mellifera or the European Dark honeybee for want of a better word!

Nope, totally untrue.
The dominant bee strains in the UK and Europe are mongrels, bit like yer supposed Cornish Amm lots of bits of other strains in their genome.. And how anything can adapt to it's "local" environment when it's "kept" in a warm hive, fed at regular intervals and treated for disease is beyond me. Mollycoddled is the world.
And even if left to their own devices would the surviving strains show the qualities desired by beekeepers. No is the simple answer.
What I do know is the "supposed" locally adapted mongrels in my area are crap, aggressive, not very fecund, frequent swarmers and poor honey gatherers. If that's what ticks your boat then fine....keep them.
Me I'll take the non adapted strains bred for good beekeeping traits that give me a honey surplus are pleasant to work with and are infrequent swarmers. The ones that wipe the floor with the local bees, despite not being "adapted" for my area.
Local bees in my area....yer having a laarf.

Last edited:
Saturation is roughly equivalent to vast majority.
Bit of a waste of time discussing this with you if you're posting contradictory nonsense and throwing in the odd Oberusel to try and show some substance to your empty words.

Well I could point you to where the genome of Carnica was mapped but apparently I cant make you believe it.
You're right though, you are wasting your time, since the only substance you've offered so far was an "iirc" preceded by some tripe you made up

Mine too, and im told the population on this island had been stable for several decades before me. If thats locally adapted, you can keep it.
I'm surprised anybody has the nerve to claim "locally adapted" while actively selecting their bees. Let alone that anyone would want them if they weren't selecting.

Nope, totally untrue.
The dominant bee strains in the UK and Europe are mongrels, bit like yer supposed Cornish Amm lots of bits of other strains in their genome.. And how anything can adapt to it's "local" environment when it's "kept" in a warm hive, fed at regular intervals and treated for disease is beyond me. Mollycoddled is the world.
And even if left to their own devices would the surviving strains show the qualities desired by beekeepers. No is the simple answer.
What I do know is the "supposed" locally adapted mongrels in my area are crap, aggressive, not very fecund, frequent swarmers and poor honey gatherers. If that's what ticks your boat then fine....keep them.
Me I'll take the non adapted strains bred for good beekeeping traits that give me a honey surplus are pleasant to work with and are infrequent swarmers. The ones that wipe the floor with the local bees, despite not being "adapted" for my area.

Take your argument to John Chambers.
Perhaps you should ask the organisers of the National Honey Show to allow you to give a lecture on why unbridled importation and mixing of the European races of Honeybee for over a century, and the extermination of locally adapted honeybees is good for the environment.
I never realised that such animosity existed among beekeepers!

to allow you to give a lecture on why unbridled importation and mixing of the European races of Honeybee for over a century, and the extermination of locally adapted honeybees is good for the environment.

Excellent idea. Bit long winded for a talk title though.

It's amazing that he appeared soon after a certain person from the Tamar area disappeared eh Dani?
Ah but he seems to have lost most of his hives and knowledge so it couldn't possibly be.....................

So, one of the questions put here is what constitutes " locally adapted" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
But each to their own

Going slightly off topic here,

Our latest new neighbours wear Thorn-proof jackets, green wellies & drive a Range Rover.

Does this make them "locally adapted" too??

They seem to think so.

If so, why does she worry, (asking on the village what's up page) if the cows are in the fields before she walks their dog??:bump:

Can't wait for the snow or the next power-cut. They may need to light the immaculate new wood burner they had installed, (the old one disappeared from the skip overnight and is keeping someone else warm)!
:xmas-smiley-010:

Sorry, it will be their offspring who adapt wont it??:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Going slightly off topic here,

Our latest new neighbours wear Thorn-proof jackets, green wellies & drive a Range Rover.

Does this make them "locally adapted" too??

They seem to think so.

If so, why does she worry, (asking on the village what's up page) if the cows are in the fields before she walks their dog??:bump:

Can't wait for the snow or the next power-cut. They may need to light the immaculate new wood burner they had installed, (the old one disappeared from the skip overnight and is keeping someone else warm)!
:xmas-smiley-010:

Sorry, it will be their offspring who adapt wont it??:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

But you can laugh.... one day walking the young collie, hooves sounded over the hill and I was suddenly eyeballed by maybe 20 young heifers. They weren’t bothered about me but mighty interested in the pup. I managed to scramble over a wall and run to the gate leaving the poor dog to his own devices. He did three laps of the field before we both got to the gate!

I don’t mind escapees to the country ( I am one, after all but only by marriage ;) )as long as they don’t bring the town with them.
schadenfreude is not just a German word :D

But you can laugh.... one day walking the young collie, hooves sounded over the hill and I was suddenly eyeballed by maybe 20 young heifers. They weren’t bothered about me but mighty interested in the pup. I managed to scramble over a wall and run to the gate leaving the poor dog to his own devices. He did three laps of the field before we both got to the gate!

I don’t mind escapees to the country ( I am one, after all but only by marriage ;) )as long as they don’t bring the town with them.
schadenfreude is not just a German word :D

That would be epicaricacy to the english then.

That would be epicaricacy to the english then.

New one to me.

From Ancient Greek ἐπιχαιρεκακία (epikhairekakía, “joy upon evil”).
Usage, rare
Thanks
Something to learn every day. :)

Last edited:
:)I think "schadenfreude" has more feeling, can be pronounced more easily and has a far more international meaning.

Latest posts

Back