Newbee preparing for the end of summer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looked. Out of stock
yes, but happens often, especially now with brexshit - a combination of it coming from Belgium and a shortage of lorry drivers. You just have to dip in until the new stock comes in. The 'hard' fondant would suffice though.

yes, but happens often, especially now with brexshit - a combination of it coming from Belgium and a shortage of lorry drivers. You just have to dip in until the new stock comes in. The 'hard' fondant would suffice though.
I have invert and a stock of sugar as back up. Last of the uncapped frames are hopefully being cleaned down into the broods.
Looks like feeding will be minimal this year.

How much drone brood ? Most of mine have none or very little now.
A pic or two of the brood combs please.
You will find it so much cheaper at a bakers rather than a bee store!
The problem with some bakers fondants is that they have other muck in them and do not monitor HMF

Now that is absolute rubbish and you know it it. In fact the fondant advertised in the previous link is made by Belgosuc who supply bee feed (fondant and invert) and is exactly the same product

Last edited:
The problem with some bakers fondants is that they have other muck in them and do not monitor HMF
Let's look at the facts shall we? nowadays, bakers fondant is made by adding water and glucose syrup to powdered sugar, no heat is used in the process and often bee labelled products are made in confectioner's factories and taken off the same production line as fondant for bakers (Belgosuc is a classic example) So to claim that baker's fondant is higher in HMF than bee labelled plain fondant just isn't true.
It's just a sly sales pitch.

I don't think so Patrick. I would be tempted to ask you to prove that statement. The ingredients are stated on the box!

Let's look at the facts shall we? nowadays, bakers fondant is made by adding water and glucose syrup to powdered sugar, no heat is used in the process and often bee labelled products are made in confectioner's factories and taken off the same production line as fondant for bakers (Belgosuc is a classic example) So to claim that baker's fondant is higher in HMF than bee labelled plain fondant just isn't true.
It's just a sly sales pitch.
Wow, never been called sly before, if you want to discuss fondants without the personal insults I am happy to continue ?

Nick buy the fondant in 12.5kg packs it will be cheaper also if you have an old fashion baker wo makes their own cakes in shop ask them if they can order/supply you with a couple packs with their next order. It stores and keeps well so is never wasted.

Thanks hemo.....I'll get some more when I order another hive...when the winter sales are on 😎....just as an interest....is it better to feed a fondant with added pollen and such....like Candipolline Gold or similar....or should I just buy normal bee fondant 😁

Never fed anything extra to my bees bar sugar/syrup, invert or fondant.

That is not baker's fondant, but fondant icing - a totally different product.
The argument you are proffering is wrong, you originally suggested “Bakers fondant “ was safe to feed to bees, I am trying to add a degree of caution pointing out that not all of it is safe, I am sure some of it is. I don’t particularly care if beekeepers buy from me or you that’s is not the issue. Some of it is sold without any ingredient details. None, that I have found is sold with any reference to HMF a toxic in its own right, regardless of all the ingredients.
For the less well informed you could be sending them and their bees in the wrong direction.

The argument you are proffering is wrong, you originally suggested “Bakers fondant “ was safe to feed to bees, I am trying to add a degree of caution pointing out that not all of it is safe,
No, you again are just trying to get people only to buy from bee suppliers using a false premise and posting misleading information.
And we all know why that is.

No, you again are just trying to get people only to buy from bee suppliers using a false premise and posting misleading information.
And we all know why that is.
OK, I would prefer beekeepers to buy a well deigned product fit for purpose, show me any bakers fondant manufacturer that measures HMF, then we can close this conversation off and beekeepers will be able to buy a product suitable for bees, subject to all the other ingredients being suitable.
There is no point in just dismissing these justifiable concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back