New year New Horizons?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it gets better - the consortium emphasised that we should make good use of our free time on this once in a lifetime opportunity. Just found out that the trout fishing is particularly good in the area and the 'lodge' where I'm staying can organise fishing. so, a quick reshuffle of my luggage and my fly rod finds it's way into the case!! have to spend a while tomorrow sorting out my flies!!!

Wise to check your flies !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Three more sleeps!

Well, almost finished packing, flies sorted and expecting new tapered leaders tomorrow, bee suit ready to go in the case and I finally remembered the wad of South African Rand waiting in the bank safe for me to collect! train booked and I've arranged to meet the other person travelling with me at Heathrow as he lives in Aberystwyth so will catch a train via Birmingham.
Getting a bit tense now!!!
So my brief is basically to go to this orphanage and find out why they didn't really get on with the bees they were given two years ago, teach them up properly, engage with the local farmers and get them to keep bees (and teach them!) explore marketing possibilities and finally establish five colonies at the orphanage.
As it's getting towards the end of the season out there this project could go on for a few years (pity I can only go out under this scheme I'm on.)

Last edited:
So my brief is basically to go to this orphanage and find out why they didn't really get on with the bees they were given two years ago, teach them up properly, engage with the local farmers and get them to keep bees (and teach them!) explore marketing possibilities and finally establish five colonies at the orphanage.
As it's getting towards the end of the season out there this project could go on for a few years (pity I can only go out under this scheme I'm on.)

Not a very large brief then ? Should have that cracked in the first couple of days then you can spend some time teaching them to fish ... Lots of Vitamin A in fish ... They have got Rainbows the size of Salmon over there ...

What an opportunity ... very exciting even from the sidelines !

Yes, the fishing is just the cherry on the cake couldn't believe it when i was doing a bit of googling about fishing possibilities in the fortnight holiday in South Africa I've arranged when up popped the website of the lodge where I'm going to be staying in Lesotho!!

Anyway, for anyone who is interested, here's a link to the website where you can view my pathetic attempts at a blog

http://www.bridgesandlinks2africa.org.uk/three-more-sleeps-to-go/

Last edited:
Yes, the fishing is just the cherry on the cake couldn't believe it when i was doing a bit of googling about fishing possibilities in the fortnight holiday in South Africa I've arranged when up popped the website of the lodge where I'm going to be staying in Lesotho!!

Anyway, for anyone who is interested, here's a link to the website where you can view my pathetic attempts at a blog

http://www.bridgesandlinks2africa.org.uk/three-more-sleeps-to-go/

Hmmm ... African Killer Bees ... best take the leather welding gloves that you don't use as well !!

Not a very large brief then ? Should have that cracked in the first couple of days then you can spend some time teaching them to fish ... Lots of Vitamin A in fish ... They have got Rainbows the size of Salmon over there ...

What an opportunity ... very exciting even from the sidelines !

Are you suggesting JBM has small briefs, lol

perhaps an all in one set of long johns in heavy duty flannelette under his outer armour might be a good idea !

Well what else would a gentleman abroad in Africa be wearing then eh? red flannel of course - helps combat malaria

Bon Voyage JB. By the time you get back "Welsh Killer Bees" will be a walk in the park :)
Look forward to the blog and lots of pictures.

Make sure you iron your cloths you don't want botfly larva burrowing into your skin

Will be interested to find out what went wrong with the last set of bees. Was it imposed western ideas, or do gooders (or both) or just bad luck or something else?

I think more of a case of lack of knowledge both from the donors and the orphanage, so not much tutelage given after the bees arrived - I'll find out more when I get there

Ystalyfera everybody!!!!

Well, I'm on my way off to foreign lands with maybe hostile natives with only a rudimentary grasp of English.
Then at 9 pm tonight we take off from Heathrow bound for Johannesburg then Lesotho where I'm sure the welcome will be much warmer.
Dogs have known something was up for weeks, this morning my old spaniel after a two minute 'cwtch' against my leg turned her back to me and slunk off to her corner then SWMBO's little bog rat (mini sausage dog) who came to the station with us wouldn't budge anywhere unless I was right beside her then started crying and trying to climb up on my lap.
SWMBO just demanded that whatever I get a chance to shoot DO NOT shoot an elephant, remember to send our niece a birthday card then left me in my lightweight jacket freezing at the station.

Anyone heard from the old boy, blog not updated, hope the killers haven't got the better of him :eek:

Careful - I am watching. :spy:
Only managed to get an internet dongle today - move off up to Pitseng tomorrow to start on the project - however, my brief may change. The minister for agriculture and forestry (who also heads the bee office) has asked to meet me as he has a much bigger long running national project in mind.
May be looking for volunteer trainers for the next season - watch this space.
My temporary room mate at the moment is an entomologist (dragonflies though) but I'm sure he'll help.
More importantly - the project manager informs me the trout fishing is exceptional where I'm going, and as I'm on my own up there I'll have nothing better to do with my spare time :hurray:
In the middle of a massive thunderstorm at the moment so I'm off to bed before the lights go out - SALA HANTLE!:seeya:

hope the killers haven't got the better of him :eek:

....and as I'm on my own up there I'll have nothing better to do with my spare time :hurray:

Did you pack some oxo's?

001-dh-cartoon-cook-pot-2.jpg

I'am willing to volunteer only if I have accommodation in a 4 star hotel but will compromise to a 3 star only if trout fishing is included ;)

Latest posts

Back