Neighbour problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
discreetly move your bees to an out apiary without your neighbour knowing but leave an empty hive in its place in your garden then see how many times he's stung by those bees.
Still won't solve your problem but at least you'll have the measure of your neighbour! :)

Have bought him a veil to wear (but he won't wear it because he says he gets to hot) Pete.

To put a really legal slant on it. If the neighbour died, and the beekeeper was sued, he's been plainly negligent. The admission of guilt implied by having to buy a neighbour a veil, implies he knows only too well, that the bees are stinging him, in his garden. Out of interest, if you are a BBKA member you are not covered if negligent, so you might want to consider very carefully how you choose to manage the situation.

Having a record that you moved an aggressive hive away is a good defence, should another bee from another colony sting them. Having the defence "I gave him a veil", to protect him from my vicious bees that I didn't want to move has disaster written all over it, and a lawyer for the poor chaps family would be rubbing his hands together with glee.

Like a recent poster, for your own enjoyment, surely nasty colonies need sorting out (e.g. moving out until resolved). For your peace of mind, it needs sorting out, and for his good health, future neighbour relations and as a representative of all us as beekeepers, you need to sort it out.

Regards,

Adam

discreetly move your bees to an out apiary without your neighbour knowing but leave an empty hive in its place in your garden then see how many times he's stung by those bees.
Still won't solve your problem but at least you'll have the measure of your neighbour! :)

Read the early part of the thread - Pete's seen the bees attack him. He's never suggested that his neighbour is a fantasist or being awkward, save in his reluctance to put up some hurdles to drive the bees higher.

It seems from all Pete's postings (and he's wisely dropped out of the thread now) that it's a simple case of a change in the neighbour's garden level putting him directly in the flightpath, something neither he nor Pete foresaw. Neither can be faulted. It's simply a case of what to do now. Should the entirely innocent neighbour undo the (probably costly) work he carried out, or the largely innocent beekeeper (he has more knowledge of bee behaviour and could possibly have foreseen and flagged up the problem) move his bees? Pete says he can move them elsewhere in his garden. Simple. Job done.

Hostility toward anyone who has the temerity to question the rights or behaviour of a beekeeper is more than somewhat irritating. It gets even worse when you fantasise about the neighbour not being honest.

To put a really legal slant on it. If the neighbour died, and the beekeeper was sued, he's been plainly negligent. The admission of guilt implied by having to buy a neighbour a veil, implies he knows only too well, that the bees are stinging him, in his garden. Out of interest, if you are a BBKA member you are not covered if negligent, so you might want to consider very carefully how you choose to manage the situation.

Having a record that you moved an aggressive hive away is a good defence, should another bee from another colony sting them. Having the defence "I gave him a veil", to protect him from my vicious bees that I didn't want to move has disaster written all over it, and a lawyer for the poor chaps family would be rubbing his hands together with glee.

Like a recent poster, for your own enjoyment, surely nasty colonies need sorting out (e.g. moving out until resolved). For your peace of mind, it needs sorting out, and for his good health, future neighbour relations and as a representative of all us as beekeepers, you need to sort it out.

Regards,

Adam

That's just about it in the proverbial nutshell.

It gets even worse when you fantasise about the neighbour not being honest.

Nobody, at any point in the thread has questioned the honesty of the neighbour.

Anyway, expecting someone to correct problems of their own making is - apparently - :beatdeadhorse5:

Not sure if this has been raised before but when you come to sell your house you may be asked if you have had a dispute with a neighbour. If you have it just might put a potential purchaser off. It would certainly make me cautious about moving next to a potential neighbour from Hell - because you will not know the rights and wrongs of the case so best to assume the worst possible situation - that the neighbour is the problem, whether this is right or wrong.

So - if you own your house and plan on selling it some time - don't pick arguments with your neighbours if at all possible and settle any differences amicably.

So many posts on a topic with such an easy answer move the bees.

You're getting soft in your old age.

He made changes to his own environment which ended up adversely affecting him and spoiling his neighbours (the OPs) enjoyment of his garden. He refuses, as I understand it, to put up a fence to take the bees flight path over his head.
:iagree:
Were the bees or the terrace there first?
I'd side with whichever was first in place.
Therefore, assuming the bees were in your garden when he moved in (terracing the garden implies to me that he is no David Attenborough) if this is so, his stings are self inflicted. Stay put!:boxing_smiley:

Even easier answer - Erect a tall barrier

Just move the bees......

I appreciate how you feel about the situation but it is sometimes better to swallow ones pride and do the right thing to keep the peace, rather than head into a long term conflict.

You could stand your ground but if someone hypersensitive to bee stings gets stung in next doors garden you could have real problems.

Good luck!

I can see an increase in bee ASBOs in the offing:

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/123803-animal-asbo-handed-to-perthshire-beekeeper/

And probably more regulation of beekeeping coming at some stage, if this is the level of social responsibility out there. Note that I picked a Scottish example - such behaviour seems to take place anywhere.

At some stage we will see worse than ASBOs and people being sued, I fear.

Excellent.

He got what he thoroughly deserved for being totally obnoxious and very un- neighbourly.

PH

:iagree:

The trees just compartmentalise (spelling) the foreign object.

Who me?!?! :leaving:

ok....Once or twice. I don't really have neighbours anymore which is one of the nicest of lifes situations to find yourself in. :sifone:

hmmmm.

It would be interesting tho to find out why the bees react to the neighbour the way they do.

Yes, absolutely and already said in the early stages.

This sort of behaviour just gives bees and beekeepers a bad name.

All the neighbour has to do is to complain to the council and the bees will HAVE to be moved.

Nope.

Two neighbours have complained about my bees. Started with one complaining they made a mess on her car. Then when I asked if if things had improved since I got rid of some she replied "havent noticed I'm not there all day" Now she and the neigbour next to her is saying that they mess on their washing.. This was in early February.......washing on the line in near freezing weather?
Yesterday I stood out and watched the bees and they dont fly over thier gardens in any large numbers. One does however admit that she just doesnt like bees... These two neighbours are not the closest to my hives. The closest one says the only ones she has seen in her garden are bumbles. Oddly enough the man from the council phoned me two days ago following up on their complaint and again I was told that there are no rules saying I cant keep them in my garden. This may be different for other councils tho.

Yours are not stinging the neighbour. That is the difference.

Latest posts

Back